Palier

Abesh

English
Hi!

Can someone please explain what is meant by palier in the following sentence?

Ce n'est pas le cas ici, nous utilisons une autre technique pour palier ce problème.

Thanks for your help!

• chloax

French
    Pallier : attenuer un problème mais en y apportant qu'une solution provisoire .

Ici cette autre technique sert à atténuer un problème mais il faudra de toute façon y réfléchir de manière plus sérieuse par la suite pour trouver une solution définitive au problème.

I hope it helps

Chloax

Abesh

English
    I think you are right, edwingill. It was probably a typo in the original and should have been pallier. Thanks. So, I guess overcome could work here.

ChiMike

USA, English
    TLF:
    PALLIER, verbe trans.
    A. Dissimuler, faire excuser (une faute, une chose fâcheuse) en présentant sous un jour favorable, en mettant en avant un élément positif. Pallier un défaut, une faute, une ignominie.

En effect, dissimuler: "to cloak" (which shares the same origin: to cover with a cloak, a "palla"), "to cover up";
    le présenter sous un jour favorable: "to whitewash" = "to put it in the best light" "to cast it in a positive light".

(Always remembering that there are limits: "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." --- But, sometimes even that has to be tried! ;))

The other meaning for the word, in French and English, in a more medical but sometimes figurative sense, is "to palliate" - i.e., to make less painful, but not to cure

ChiMike

USA, English
    So maybe to compensate for would work.
    We really need more context to be sure.

If the quote is from a medical source and the problem is, for example, pharmacological or otherwise related to the unwanted effects of the primary procedure (such as unwanted secondary effects of a pharmaceutical, of chemo-therapy, or even of loss of muscle tone through enforced bed-rest), the proper word would be "palliate".

If it is some other form of technology, and the problem is a technical one, such as stabilization of problematic vibration, then "compensate for" or "get around" would probably be correct. The problem does not disappear but there is a technique to minimize it.

If the technique under discussion is one of the techniques of advertising, marketing, or politics, then "hide" "cloak" "whitewash" "dissimulate" would all be possible choices.

JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    In technical uses, pallier tends to lose its "temporary" aspect.
    An English (at least AE) word I often see - and use - is workaround, to get around a difficulty.
    This bug has not been corrected yet, but there is a workaround.
    We will implement another technique as a workaround to this issue.

Abesh

English
    This is from a document about a computer software, so I think workaround is very appropriate here. Thanks everyone!

< Previous | Next >