pamphlet or handout?

< Previous | Next >

mooty

Malay
Hi

When a teacher teaches a lesson on a single page every session, is it called a pamphlet or a handout? I mean the paper with the teaching materials on a single subject.

Thanks

• cissy3

English-England
    I would use 'hand out', or more usually 'work-sheet', rather than pamphlet (which suggests information given, but not necessarily needing a response.)

This is from my experience of secondary education in England, so it may be different in other circumstances, according to age-group and location.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I would call it a handout. Here a "worksheet" is a handout that requires the student to complete some type of written assignment - math problems, for example, or English grammar exercises.
    A handout is any paper with information that supports the lesson - it can be text, or images, or both. Handouts include worksheets. But not all handouts are worksheets.

rhitagawr

British English
    I wouldn't use pamphlet in a classroom context. A pamphlet is something you get through your letter-box. It can advertise a supermarket, church, political party etc. It's probably colourful and glossy. It has two or three pages which fold over each other. A single sheet of paper would be called a leaflet (at least by me).

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I'd say pamphlet describes the form of a document (whether it comes in one's mailbox or otherwise); handout describes its method of distribution. In this case, based on post 3, it seems we're talking about handouts. In general, a handout could be a pamphlet, but these single-sheet handouts are not pamphlets.

mooty

Malay
    I would call it a handout. Here a "worksheet" is a handout that requires the student to complete some type of written assignment - math problems, for example, or English grammar exercises.
    A handout is any paper with information that supports the lesson - it can be text, or images, or both. Handouts include worksheets. But not all handouts are worksheets.
    Thanks a lot. I agree with you about worksheet.

Packard

USA, English
    We had "blue books", or "blue examination books" which were handed out and contained multiple pages for filling in exam answers, often in the form of essays.

They got their name from the cover:

And a typical interior looked like this:

"Hand out" covers all types of items. A worksheet or test booklet or any other type of item would be included in the definition of "hand out".

rhitagawr

British English
    I'd say pamphlet describes the form of a document (whether it comes in one's mailbox or otherwise); handout describes its method of distribution. In this case, based on post 3, it seems we're talking about handouts. In general, a handout could be a pamphlet, but these single-sheet handouts are not pamphlets.
    Perhaps I should have said can get through your letter-box.
    I'd be very surprised if a geography teacher handed out some maps and called them pamphlets or even leaflets. People who give people leaflets in the street give people leaflets and not handouts even though they're handing them out.

Andygc

British English
    In all of the classes I have been to, and in all the classes I have taught (not language classes - aviation physiology and such like), sheets of printed paper given to the students which contained information relevant to the taught subject-matter were called "handouts". If it was a sheet for answering questions or for doing calculations then, as stated by joanvillafane and others, it would have been a "worksheet".

The great advantage of a detailed handout (for the student) is that if the teacher is really boring and the student is sitting at the back of the room it's possible to have a nice nap and miss nothing important.

Packard

USA, English
    In all of the classes I have been to, and in all the classes I have taught (not language classes - aviation physiology and such like), sheets of printed paper given to the students which contained information relevant to the taught subject-matter were called "handouts". If it was a sheet for answering questions or for doing calculations then, as stated by joanvillafane and others, it would have been a "worksheet".

The great advantage of a detailed handout (for the student) is that if the teacher is really boring and the student is sitting at the back of the room it's possible to have a nice nap and miss nothing important.
    But a "hand out" would cover any document (in this context) you handed out. It is an all inclusive term. Are you assigning a specific function for this?

According to Merriam-Webster:
    • something (such as food, clothing, or money) that is given to someone who is poor

• : a document that is given to people

Andygc

British English
    I wouldn't call a worksheet a handout. Handout is also what I'd use in the context given by the OP.

< Previous | Next >