Panjabi: Colours of the Rainbow

Pvitr

Panjabi
Can anyone help me with the colours of the rainbow in Panjabi - I start off fine, but get a little confused with the blues/purples:

Red/laal ਲਾਲ
Orange/santaraa ਸੰਤਰਾ
Yellow/piilaa ਪੀਲਾ
Green/haraa ਹਰਾ
Blue/niilaa ਨੀਲਾ (or firozi? ਫਿਰੋਜ਼ੀ)
Indigo ?? (Blue/Niilaa? ਨੀਲਾ)
Violet ?? (Purple/Jaamanii? ਜਾਮਨੀ)

As it's known as a 'satt rangi piingh' (swing of 7 colours) I'm assuming there should be 7 colour names. Thanks

• Alfaaz

English
    As is often the case in many other contexts, most of the names of colors in Punjabi are similar to what would be used in Urdu or Hindi:
    • red - سُوہا، لال، سرخ - suuhaa, laal, surx
    • orange - مالٹا، نارنجی/نارنگی، سنگترہ - maalTaa, naaranjii/naarangii, sangtarah
    • yellow - پیلا، زرد - piilaa, zard
    • green - ہرا، سبز - haraa, sabz
    • blue - نیلہ/نیلا - niilah/niilaa
    • violet - بنفشہ/بنفشی - banafshah/banafshii
    • purple - اودا، جامنی، بینگنی - uudaa, jaamunii, baiNganii
    • turquoise/teal - فیروزی - fiirozii
    Relevant threads:
    Punjabi speakers could hopefully provide further details and clarifications if there are any mistakes above.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Thanks for your reply. Those 2 threads aren't what I'm looking for.

I don't think banafshii is a Panjabi word at all. Also baingan/jaamanii are 2 v. different colours for me.

Am also reconsidering firozii as that is obvs a loanword and think šaradaii is a better translation for the blue of a rainbow.

Followed by niilaa, then jaamanii.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Also I hadn't thought of suuhaa which I believe is more of a deep red. (You seem to suggest it is Urdu/Hindi but I thought it was a Panjabi word?)

I assume some of the colours that are unfamiliar to me are Persian origin forms that may be more common in Urdu.

Am really more interested in specificlly Panjabi words.

Alfaaz

English
    Pvitr said:
    Thanks for your reply. Those 2 threads aren't what I'm looking for.

I don't think banafshii is a Panjabi word at all. Also baingan/jaamanii are 2 v. different colours for me.

Am also reconsidering firozii as that is obvs a loanword and think šaradaii is a better translation for the blue of a rainbow.
    Also I hadn't thought of suuhaa which I believe is more of a deep red. (You seem to suggest it is Urdu/Hindi but I thought it was a Panjabi word?)
    You're welcome. The list provided above was meant to be for Punjabi. (However, suuhaa does exist in Urdu and Hindi as well - Platts entry quoted below.) As suggested previously, there is a lot of overlap between the languages and which words are used (or not used!) may also depend on various factors like location (as you've alluded to in another thread), etc.
    H سوها सूहा sūhā, सोहा sohā [prob. S. शोण+कः], adj. & s.m. (f. -ī), Red, crimson; saffron-coloured (also written sūʼā); — cloth dyed saffron-colour; — name of a rāg or musical mode:
    Pvitr said:
    I assume some of the colours that are unfamiliar to me are Persian origin forms that may be more common in Urdu.

Am really more interested in specificlly Panjabi words.
    I see. Are you interested in words that are just not of Urdu, Persian, Arabic origin or are you interested in TheTh words that are exclusive to Panjabi (not used at all in both Urdu and Hindi)? If it is the former, then words of Indic origins could be used. If it is the latter (examples: sagoN, aalhNRaa), then it seems there might not always be alternatives/equivalents and it would be really interesting to see what Punjabi-speaking forum members would contribute!