Panjabi: Indian/Pakistani

< Previous | Next >

Pvitr

Panjabi
Hello all
Can anyone help me clarify how to say 'Indian' in Panjabi?

When I look in the shabadkosh dictionary I get results bharati/hindū/hindūstanī, but not an exact word 'Indian'.

It feels that the word Indian is of English origin, as we have Australia/Australian, Ghana/Ghanaian, and so on (there are lots of other examples to suggest this is an English method).

In Panjabi for words ending in consonant 'n' I might add 'ī'
e.g. pākistān -> pākistānī.

For other consonant endings the situation is different
e.g. (Russia) rūs -> (Russian) rūs dā/dī/dey.

For words ending in 'a' I feel I should say 'of x'
e.g. 'Australia dā/dī/dey'

So should it be 'Indīan' [in English] = indīā dā/dī/dey [in Panjabi]

Can anyone cast any light on the Panjabi way of saying 'Indian'? Thanks all.

Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I would say "p_haartii" for "Indian" taking into account the Punjabi tone for the Urdu "bhaaratii". You can also say "hindustaanii".

By the way, "Russian" would be "ruusii".

Alfaaz

English
    Alfaaz said:
    Examples:
    • BritainBritish → برطانوی
    • Australia Australian → آسٹریلوی
    • برطان - bartaan & برطانیہ - bartaaniyah/birtaaniyah/britaaniyah → bartaanwii
    • aasTrelwii/ausTrelwii

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Thanks for the replies, but I don't think they provide the answer I need.

bhaarat > bhaaratii
    hinduustaan > hinduustaanii

india > ??

I want to know if 'indiian' is what a person of India would be called in Panjabi/other related local languages.

I think India/Bharat are both considered official names and both occur in the Indian constitution, so I would have thought there was a definitive answer to this... perhaps I'm wrong.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    • برطان - bartaan & برطانیہ - bartaaniyah/birtaaniyah/britaaniyah → bartaanwii
    • aasTrelwii/ausTrelwii
    OK, so is there a rule for when --vii ending is used? I mean with which consonant endings?

I don't think I've ever hear 'bartaanivii' before. I've heard of 'Sahir Ludhianvi', but presumably his pen name was made because he came from Ludhiana.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Thanks for the replies, but I don't think they provide the answer I need.

bhaarat > bhaaratii
    hinduustaan > hinduustaanii

india > ??

I want to know if 'indiian' is what a person of India would be called in Panjabi/other related local languages.

I think India/Bharat are both considered official names and both occur in the Indian constitution, so I would have thought there was a definitive answer to this... perhaps I'm wrong.
    Pvitr Jii, "India" is an English word. From that we get "Indian" and Indian is not a Punjabi word.

Alfaaz

English
    Pvitr said:
    I don't think I've ever hear 'bartaanivii' before.
    I've sent examples via PM.
    Pvitr said:
    OK, so is there a rule for when --vii ending is used? I mean with which consonant endings?
    Relevant threads:
    Brief summary: There are rules in Arabic (as mentioned in the Arabic forum thread) and these are carried over into Urdu, but they are not always applied consistently/there are some exceptions where both forms may exist, etc. (as discussed in the IIL forum thread).

< Previous | Next >