Panjabi: Perso-Arabic script

Pvitr

Panjabi
Hello All

I believe that the Perso-Arabic script used for Panjabi in W.Panjab has duplicate letters (for historical legacy reasons?).

I would like to know whether, when spelling a native Panjabi word, is there a default letter which is always used (out of the choice of duplicates)?

If there is always a specific letter used, then if the script has several letters representing e.g. 's', which one would be used for a (native) Panjabi word?

If a specific letter is not always used then how would you know how to spell a Panjabi word with this script if there are multiple options?

I think there are duplicates for 's', 'r', 't', so if someone could answer relating to all of these that would be helpful.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Alfaaz

English
    Pvitr said:
    I believe that the Perso-Arabic script used for Panjabi in E.Panjab has duplicate letters (for historical legacy reasons?).

I would like to know whether, when spelling a native Panjabi word, is there a default letter which is always used (out of the choice of duplicates)?

If there is always a specific letter used, then if the script has several letters representing e.g. 's', which one would be used for a (native) Panjabi word?
    t: ت، ط
    s: ث، س، ص
    z: ذ، ز، ض، ظ
    h: ہ، ح

ت، س، ز، ہ are used for words in Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi, etc. that are not of Arabic or Persian origin, since the rest of the letters (in addition to a few others) almost* exclusively appear in words of Arabic or Persian origin.

* خ - x : It is used almost exclusively in words of Arabic and Persian origin. However, there are a few Indic words where the pronunciation has changed in Urdu, Punjabi, etc. to a خ. Examples would be axroT, taxnaa, etc. The Panjabi word xawre is always pronounced and written with a خ if I'm not mistaken. Panjabi speakers could confirm.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    t: ت، ط
    s: ث، س، ص
    z: ذ، ز، ض، ظ
    h: ہ، ح

ت، س، ز، ہ are used for words in Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi, etc. that are not of Arabic or Persian origin, since the rest of the letters (in addition to a few others) almost* exclusively appear in words of Arabic or Persian origin.

* خ - x : It is used almost exclusively in words of Arabic and Persian origin. However, there are a few Indic words where the pronunciation has changed in Urdu, Punjabi, etc. to a خ. Examples would be axroT, taxnaa, etc. The Panjabi word xawre is always pronounced and written with a خ if I'm not mistaken. Panjabi speakers could confirm.
    Thank you. That's great.

What does xawre mean?

Alfaaz

English
    Pvitr said:
    What does xawre mean?
    jaane/nah jaane

Literary example:

پچھلے طوق خطاواں والے، گل گل دے وچ، پان گیاں
    آون والیاں گھڑیاں، خورے کی کی قہر، کمان گیاں

ماجد صدیقی
    pichhle tauq xataawaaN vaale, gall gall de vich, paaNR giyaaN