Panjabi: Pronunciation of 'laanv' diphthong [ei]

Pvitr

Panjabi
Curious about the Panjabi diphthong ੇ [ei] as in meraa/meiraa ਮੇਰਾ (my) seems to be translated as 'e' virtually everywhere.

Just wondering if Punjabi speakers actually pronounce it as 'e' as in 'met' or 'ei'?

Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I pronounce "meraa" as "meraa" where the "e" is equivalent to the "a" in the English word "late". I think this is how Urdu and Hindi speakers would also pronounce this word.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    I pronounce "meraa" as "meraa" where the "e" is equivalent to the "a" in the English word "late". I think this is how Urdu and Hindi speakers would also pronounce this word.
    Pronunciation of Late has a diphthong for most native English (UK) speakers - do you mean you pronounce it with a diphthong?

It is not the specific word 'meraa' that I am interested in - that is just an example. It is the sound in spoken Panjabi that I am interested in.

Also am I correct in assuming that you are from a Western Panjabi region? Perhaps you pronounce 'late' differently to me! In which case I am none the wiser ;)

Last edited: