Panjabi: Tūn/tusīn in Old Panjabi

Pvitr

Panjabi
Is tusīn as the formal/singular form of tūn a recent occurrence?

I have heard that it was originally only used for plural, not singular.

Does anyone know if this is the case and if so, when the change occurred?

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hi Pvitr and welcome to the forum.

tuuN, strictly speaking is for the second person singular and tusiiN is for the second person plural. However, in terms of respect afforded to the person spoken to, one would use the former for a person of same/similar age or younger and the latter for an older person.

You are likely to refer to a close friend of yours as "tuuN" but for your mother and father as "tusiiN" whether speaking to them individually or together.

I hope this answers your query.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Thankyou Qureshpor.

I agree with what you say. However I have been told that this is a recent development. In the past there would have been a clear split between tuuN-singular, and tusiiN-plural, regardless of the formality or respect you were affording the person you are speaking to.

I was just trying to ascertain whether that was the case, and if anyone had an idea when tusiiN started to be used for 'respect'/formal situations. Perhaps it is clearer to ask: when did tusiiN start to be used for the singular (formal)?

Qureshpor

^ How recent?

I can tell you that this is not the case. I am no spring chicken and I have used this distinction and so have my parents and I would suggest their parents too.

What is your source of information? Perhaps, there may be regional differences but I am not sure if this is the case.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    'Recent' was probably the wrong word;).

I think she said in older writing around 16th century. At some stage between then and now it changed!

She is a teacher who teaches Panjabi to children, so would perhaps have read it somewhere herself.

Qureshpor

^ Ah, in this case I can not comment. No doubt her views are based on information deduced from literature. I cannot think of any other source where one would gain this kind of information.

Last edited: