Panjabi/Urdu mix

SaritaSarang

English - United States
Hello, I have a question. I know someone, and he is from Pakistan. He Knows Urdu and Panjabi. He tells me that he doesn't speak just one or the other, but a mixture of the two, because it flows better and also sounds better. Does anyone else here speak this mixture?, or is this just limited to the area where he is from (gujrat)? I would really like to know more information about this language mixture and where else it is done, and maybe a little more insight as to why.

Thanks! :D

• panjabigator

Am. English
    Hi Sarita,

A lot of people will speak with a mixture of both languages. I do not know much about the linguistics of Gujrat, Pakistan, except for the fact that their Panjabi is VERY different from mine. Sometimes when I speak in both, I will unknowingly use a different construct or use the wrong word, but it's fine. There are however many people who claim to know Panjabi (that I know) who just use one or two words that are Panjabi in their Hindi/Urdu. Im not saying your friend is one of them, but a lot of people do this.

I also do not think a mixture of each sound better. I prefer that one be spoken, and only one. You pick the language, but if you know both, why would you mix them?

There is also a tendency of parents to not teach Panjabi as much and to just use Hindi/Urdu. Whatever Panjabi the child learns is through exposure (parents speaking with family and amongst each other) but it really isn't much. So the child is competent in one language but not the other.

choppy seas

Banned
    malayalam/india
    Hello, I have a question. I know someone, and he is from Pakistan. He Knows Urdu and Panjabi. He tells me that he doesn't speak just one or the other, but a mixture of the two, because it flows better and also sounds better. Does anyone else here speak this mixture?, or is this just limited to the area where he is from (gujrat)? I would really like to know more information about this language mixture and where else it is done, and maybe a little more insight as to why.

Thanks! :D
    Well most Indian languages rely for modern terminology quite extensively on English! many indians,particularly of the elite, mix english with their respective languages,(i dont!). As to the question why they do it, that is mix-up languages,I think it stems from the limitations of development of those languages.

< Previous | Next >