Panjabi: World Peace

Pvitr

Panjabi
How would you say 'World Peace' in Panjabi?

Google translate gives 'ਵਿਸ਼ਵ ਸ਼ਾਂਤੀ' višav šantii.
But if I wanted to say 'I dream of world peace' would I use that?

Most Punjabi speakers I have heard tend to use 'duniiaa' rather than višav to mean 'world' so I wonder if that is more appropriate?

Also I tend to associate ਸ਼ਾਂਤੀ' šantii with calm, rather than peace as in 'not fghting or no violence'. Would 'sulhaa' ਸੁਲ੍ਹਾ as in compromise/conciliation be a better term?

• amiramir

English-USA
    I often find that 'official' / scholastic (Eastern) Punjabi tends to take many words from Hindi i.e. ਵਿਸ਼ਵ -- whereas the colloquial is different (not so out of the ordinary for many languages of course).

Maybe a proper speaker could confirm but how about ਸੰਸਾਰ ਅਮਨ sansaar aman?

Pvitr

Panjabi
    I often find that 'official' / scholastic (Eastern) Punjabi tends to take many words from Hindi i.e. ਵਿਸ਼ਵ -- whereas the colloquial is different (not so out of the ordinary for many languages of course).

Maybe a proper speaker could confirm but how about ਸੰਸਾਰ ਅਮਨ sansaar aman?
    Yes, as I said in my first post the word ਵਿਸ਼ਵ does not seem correct.

Sansaar perhaps is too 'technical' and not the right connotation.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Why don't you use a dictionary? jagg-, jagat- are the Punjabi words of the register you are looking for.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Why don't you use a dictionary?
    if I had one perhaps I would!

Online I have only found shabdkosh which is a bit disappointing to be frank. If you have any suggestions of good online Punjabi-English dictionaries that would be helpful.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Punjabi University Patiala India has a dictionary available as a book as well as on-line, featuring two scripts and English translations.