pansement gras

< Previous | Next >

Mike-NYC1

English-USA
Hi all -

I am translating a medical report on a burn victim.

Here's what they list:
pansements sec
pansements humides
pansements gras

My attempt:
dry dressings
wet dressings
____ dressings

We absoutely do not call it it "fat or fatty dressings" - unless you are talking about a salad!

Any idea what the correct term is in English?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
  • jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    A google search on "oily dressings" (minus "salad") finds many medical hits.

Mike-NYC1

English-USA
    Thanks for the reponse.

I entered in Google:
    "oily dressing" -salad

and only get 3,130 hits. That's not many...

Did you mean that? Or should I have entered +wound or keywords with boolean characters?

Mike

Mike-NYC1

English-USA
    I consulted with a physician and he told me -- "gel dressings" which is what is used in the US...

Thanks all for your comments/ideas though/

AfroCelte

English -UK/Eire
    Having just come back from the UK, I can confirm that it's a hydrocolloid dressing used for acute and chronic wounds - 'moist wound healing'. (Instead of applying gauze to the wound, a foam/gel or other transparent film dressing is applied). You'll have to consult a doctor for all the pros & cons!

Mike-NYC1

English-USA
    Thanks for contributing this too - it's good to know what's in use in the different English-speaking countries (same in reverse in the different French-speaking countries when applicable).

MERCI!!!

AfroCelte

English -UK/Eire
    My apologies but now I'm not so sure after doing a bit more research & NOT being a qualified medical professional.

A hydrocolloid dressing seem to be ONE type of MWH dressing (Moist Wound Healing) among a whole gamut of dressings available.

As your doctor friend previously suggested 'gel dressing' is probably the correct answer as s/he knows exactly what's contained in each of these types of dressing.

- This might be too much information but MWH products can be polyurethane film/foam/hydrogel/hydrofibre/hydrocolloid/alginate. (Medics seem to talk about 'occlusive' dressings).

Now feeling rather queasy & confused after too much consultation of information designed for trained medics & not lay people.

< Previous | Next >