pansement

< Previous | Next >

catheng

France; Français
je dois traduire salle des pansements (dans un hôpital)

is "dressing room" the appropriate translation even if it sounds a bit weird????

Native answers welcome...
Thanks

• catheng

France; Français
    any other suggestion ; it's about people who have just undergone a surgery and it a dedicated room in an hospital.

Frage

US - English
    je ne sais pas ce que "salle des pansements" veut dire exactement, ça me fait penser à "exam room" (où l'on est examiné par le médecin, evidemment) ou même simplement "hospital room".

en tout cas, "dressing room" signifie «vestiaire» ou «loge» selon les circonstances

Embonpoint

English--American
    In the U.S., after you have surgery you are sent to a "recovery room."

You stay there until the nurses and doctors judge you are ready to either go home, or be transferred to the hospital room where you will spend the night.

Is that the type of room you mean?

catheng

France; Français
    no. It's a room in which doctors or nurses change your dressing after a surgery (sometimes you can go back home a few days after the surgery but you have to come back to have your dressing (important ones) changed.

Embonpoint

English--American
    no. It's a room in which doctors or nurses change your dressing after a surgery (sometimes you can go back home a few days after the surgery but you have to come back to have your dressing (important ones) changed.
    All hospitals are different, I suppose, but where I've been there was not a specific room for that in the U.S. The doctor would typically use a regular exam room, used for many purposes, to change a dressing.

If you want to convey the meaning, I like the suggestion above of "Wound-Care Room."

Embonpoint

English--American
    I agree with the comments above that any formulation with "dressing room" sounds like you are putting on clothes. I think of a stage, and actors in their dressing room.

Post-op is another name for "recovery room" above. It isn't not where you change the dressings when you come back a few days later.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Post-op is another name for "recovery room" above. .
    It's true that in a hospital some people may say post-op as a noun synonomous for recovery room, Embonpoint, but the adjective post-op/post-operative is a broader term, at least in the hospital where I worked. See here.

I'm trying to remember what they called such a room in my hospital. I remember there was a cast room (pour les plâtres), but I think bandages/dressings were just done in an all-purpose room.

How about bandaging room? I think it would be understandable to most English-speakers, catheng (even if we haven't personally experienced such a place...)

Last edited:

johndot

English - England
    When I was last in hospital to have a (relatively) minor injury attended to, I had to wait in AE until my name was called, then walk into a room whose door proudly bore the name "Dressings"

RomanCandle

English
    I agree that "exam room" is an appropriate choice; in the US, any room in which a doctor performs routine tasks is called an "exam room."

< Previous | Next >