"Panting to your door" meaning?

zbwsb

Norwegian
Hi everyone, here is the context.

someone who thinks they understand you panting to your door, hoping for some kind of sign. Although this has the basis of a very good friendship, they are currently fantasizing about you, and could be way off beam.

<< Please begin a new thread for the second question. >>

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • zbwsb

Norwegian
    From horoscope, I don't understand what it is trying to say there. I thought pant is like exhale or puff.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I would expect to hear panting at your door. Panting like a dog in desire for you ... at your door (very close to you; can't leave you alone). I would also expect a verb before "panting," such as "is."

Languagethinkerlover

English-British and U.S.
    I looked up the definition of 'panting' to see if there's a definition I am not familiar with...there isn't. Perhaps the person who wrote the horoscope made a mistake because it makes no sense to me at all.

Copyright

American English
    I looked up the definition of 'panting' to see if there's a definition I am not familiar with...there isn't. Perhaps the person who wrote the horoscope made a mistake because it makes no sense to me at all.
    Perhaps you missed the WR dictionary :): pant:
    ▶verb
    • 1 breathe with short, quick breaths, typically from exertion.
    • long for or to do something.

• 2 literary (of the heart or chest) throb violently from strong emotions.

zbwsb

Norwegian
    Probably something is wrong there, thanks to both of your help!

I think the definition of the word panting here is like eager and long, as the definiton that Copyright post.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The reason we are asking for a complete sentence is that your fragment lacks a verb and a subject, making it difficult to know how 'panting' fits in.

Here is the complete sentence with the three following -- the permitted four sentences of quotation.. This version does have "panting to your door". The planetary alignment brings someone to your door. They are panting, we suppose, with eagerness to be near you, as Copyright explains. You are warned that they may not see you as you really are.
    The present planetary alignment may bring someone who thinks they understand you panting to your door, hoping for some kind of sign. Although this has the basis of a very good friendship, they are currently fantasizing about you, and could be way off beam. So you will need to calm them down and let them gently into your heart - if you really wish to. Otherwise be very firm. Capricorn Love Horoscope for Today, Apr 5, 2011

zbwsb

Norwegian
    Thank you Cagey for posting the rest of the context, that is my fault.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvience that I made. I will be more aware of fragments.

Last edited:

Languagethinkerlover

English-British and U.S.
    I'm wondering if the person who is 'panting to your door' really needs to see you and ran all the way to your home (perhaps fast and/or for a long time, which would explain the panting) because they are desperate to see you...and this sign that they are hoping for. Maybe the person is panicked...at a low point...throbbing violently from strong emotions (thanks Copyright for the reminder).

It sounds exciting...or perhaps it's exciting only in my head because I'm making a story out of it.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This is a horoscope. It is customary in horoscopes to describe a situation that can be understood metaphorically and applied to a wide range of possible events. A horoscope can make a story out of the ordinary events that will happen to someone who reads it. That is one of the appealing features of astrology.

< Previous | Next >