Pantry/food pantry/kitchen pantry

guillaume28

French
Hello everyone,

i'd like to know what is the difference between these three words, because their translation in french is quite similary.

The food is stocked in the pantry/food pantry/kitchen pantry. What's the difference please?

Thanks

• heypresto

English - England
    I'd say the only time one might wish to be specific about a 'food', or 'kitchen' pantry would be in a large country house, where a pantry is also the place where the table linen is stored, and cutlery etc cleaned, or the 'butler's pantry', where the plate and glassware is kept.

But I suspect these are pretty rare nowadays, and probably becoming rarer.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We need context, guilluame28.

Give us a sentence in which you would use these phrases, a sentence that makes it necessary for you to know the difference. What sort of thing are you describing?

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    As far as I can tell, there's no difference. "Pantry" means "a large cabinet or small closet in or near a kitchen, used to store food," so to me "food pantry" and "kitchen pantry" are redundant.
    I think it's more commonly used for a small room near or attached to the kitchen where food may be stored and/or prepared (cold food).

guillaume28

French
    We need context, guilluame28.

Give us a sentence in which you would use these phrases, a sentence that makes it necessary for you to know the difference. What sort of thing are you describing?
    I already gave a sentence, this one : The food is stocked in the pantry/food pantry/kitchen pantry.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Well, yes, all of those are used to stock food. In that sentence, all these words are acceptable by definition. It is not a very helpful sentence for sorting out the differences in usage.

I was trying to get at is a specific use in American English, where 'food pantry' is used to refer to charitable organizations that distribute food to people in need who can take the food with them to prepare and eat elsewhere. I suspect this is currently the most frequent meaning of 'food pantry' this country. People who have pantries in their homes, are not likely to feel the need to specify that they are food pantries.

< Previous | Next >