Pantry, larder, box bed from The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse

Cresa

Greek
Hi from Cresa,
Which is the difference between pantry and larder?
How I can translate the box bed in Greek? Is it correct a bed like box or a four posted bed.
The above words are from "The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse."

There was a kitchen, a parlour, a pantry, and a larder. Also, there was Mrs. Titllemouse's bedroom, where she slept in a little box bed!

• . 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    It is my understanding that a pantry is always a room but a larder may be a room or a chest.

A box bed is a bed where the mattress sits in a frame like a box with slats across the bottom and timber surrounding to hold the mattress in place.

JamesM

I wish I had some reference to back this up with, but my impression has always been that a larder needed to be a cool place, usually by location (in the cellar, or on the north side of the house in a cool climate). A larder could hold things that would melt or be damaged by heat - butter, lard, etc. A pantry was for dry food storage. It would be best to be cool, but not absolutely necessary for what was stored in it.

I can't find anything to confirm this, though. :(

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    JamesM said:
    I wish I had some reference to back this up with, but my impression has always been that a larder needed to be a cool place, usually by location (in the cellar, or on the north side of the house in a cool climate). A larder could hold things that would melt or be damaged by heat - butter, lard, etc. A pantry was for dry food storage. It would be best to be cool, but not absolutely necessary for what was stored in it.

I can't find anything to confirm this, though. :(
    This would make sense as I believe that the word pantry originates from a word meaning bread.

JamesM

Although I always take Wikipedia entries with a grain of salt, this one does seem to go along with my impression:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larder

In fact, I seem to remember seeing a larder in my great aunt's house that took a block of ice in it. The block of ice was separated from the foodstuffs by a metal plate. The food stayed dry but cool. I'll see if I can find a picture of something similar.

Here's a small snippet of historical background:

http://history.enotes.com/food-encyclopedia/pantry-larder

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Cresa I don't think I'm allowed to post any Greek here so I'll do my best and maybe send you a PM to boot.

We Greeks usually call both cellar but I guess you'd have to use it only for 'larder'.

You could perhaps use "store" for the pantry although I realise it's not the best translation. I'll get back to you if I think of something better.

'Box bed' is your usual bed. I'd say use 'wooden bed' and everyone will get the idea (in fact just by saying 'bed' most Greeks will get the image of a box bed wouldn't we?). You can consider 'traditional bed' too.

mzsweeett

USA
    USA, American English
    Aaaah Beatrix Potter! I love that author... she makes faboo kiddie books.

I am very familiar with this story...

The pantry is a dry storage closet....bread, grains, cereals, beans etc.
    The larder is just what was posted earlier... a depressed cold storage area (sometimes with ice too as mentioned afore)for butter, lard, milk, etc.
    The little box bed is actually a bed made from a small box... remembr she is a mouse! But the idea given was completely correct.

How sweet that you are translating this into Greek. Well wishes to you!

Ciao

Sweet T.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A box-bed is a bed like a large box with a wooden roof, wooden sides and ends, and an opening at the front with sliding panels, shutters or curtains.

Well, to be exact, Mrs Tittlemouse's bed looks like THIS.

< Previous | Next >