Pantry Vs Larder

rehaan

hindi
Is there any diffference between Larder and Pantry? I am not able to come towards any conclusion about this.
We all have some cupboards to store pickle,Biscuits or say sugar bowls ......in the kitchen itself.
Does it come under the category of larder/Pantry?

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:
  • pops91710

English, AE
    Today there is no difference. But there was once a difference a long time ago when meats were stored in vats of lard in cooler rooms (hence: larder) than regualr foods, which were in pantries. Today, pantry is used far more often than larder, especially in residential references.

Last edited:

MilkyBarKid

British English
    ...except that nowadays, we refer to it as a pantry - (for food and cooking utensils being stored until required for use (like bain-marie and ultra-large roasting dishes); and 'larder' is disappearing.

pops91710

English, AE
    It is still a word used in AE to refer to a supply of food. Such as the "nation's larder". Of course, since the wide-spread use of refrigeration, larders hardly exist anymore, while pantries still are common. That said, the word is still in use, albeit a little archaic.

You will see the word in the U.S. attached to restaurant's names. Such as the "Boulette Larder", on the Ebarcadero in San Francisco, just to name one.

I have used the word myself several times to refer to food stocks.

< Previous | Next >