Pantry vs storeroom in a block of flats

Miskovicki

Polish
Hi guys!

My friend lives in a block of flats. There are a few flats on each floor. Next to his flat, there is a separate room which only he has access to. He keeps there some food and stuff like bikes or tools. You can find a similar room in somebody's house, which as far as I know is called "pantry'. Could I use the same word to mean the room I described? Or would "storeroom" be better since there's not only food he keeps there?

Thanks in advance.

• lingobingo

English - England
    A pantry, or larder, was a cupboard in which food used to be kept before the days of refrigerators.

What you are describing is a storeroom.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    A pantry (originally French paneterie = bread-room) is only for food, except for the 3% of cases when it's a butler's pantry, which is a small store-room in a very grand house.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Depending on how big it is, we might also call that a storage closet in the U.S.

(It's hard finding that term online but I know I've heard it used throughout my life. A storage closet would be used for things that don't need to be accessed frequently.)

equivoque

Australia - English
    In AU. a pantry is a little room or cupboard essential in every kitchen, just for food. We all have one and that's what we call that place. A storage room contains everything we don't need but think we will.

< Previous | Next >