Panzerfaust und Panzerschreck


Senior Member
English - UK
Dear All

These are two types of bazooka-like weapons used by the German military in World War II. Does anyone know whether it's usual to keep the German terms when writing about them in English, to translate them into English, or to use the German with an English translation in brackets, say? I've found a number of translations, including "Tank Terror" for P-schreck and "Tank Fist" for P-faust, but does anyone know if there are standard English terms for these, please?

Many thanks
  • Fernando

    Senior Member
    Spain, Spanish
    I am not an English-speaker native but I have read some English History books on WWII. Panzerschreck and (overall) Panzerfaust remain untranslated most times. When they are translated, they are into the equivalent English term ('bazooka', 'anti-tank weapon' or similar).

    When maintained an explanation of the literal meaning ('Tank Fist') is sometimes given.


    Senior Member
    I'm afraid Fernando. Those two are different things.

    Panzerfaust: can only be used once; has not got a barrel/tube
    Panzerschreck: can be used more than once; has got a barrel/tube


    Senior Member
    Spain, Spanish
    I am aware of the differrence. Sorry if I implied otherwise.

    I meant that both words are used in the orignal German in English books. Panzerfaust is used more times (I think it was built in larger numbers and distributed to more fighters) while Panzerschreck (which it would be more similar to a bazooka) is later.

    The most popular use (in my -very limited-experience) is about the images of teenagers defending Berlin. I think they were given Fausts rather than P-Schrecks, but I could be wrong.