paper work, bureaucracy?

vichy

mongolian
Hello all,
I would like to know how do you call the following procedure. The procedure is, you want to enroll at foreign university and have to collect education certificates, documents and give them to the faculty. Now, you wait for answer and know that the documents need to be evaluated by staffs. What's the name of that procedure? May I call it paper work or bureaucracy?
Thank you so much in advance!

• Matching Mole

England, English
    It may depend on what way you wish to refer to such procedures. Can you give an example sentence? You might want to have a look at a dictionary definition of bureaucracy with examples, such as this. Unless you are criticizing the procedure, I think you are unlikely to want to use bureaucracy in this context.

vichy

mongolian
    Thank you Matching Mole! I really do want to critisize the procedure :). Because the person who is in charge works 3 days in a week and 4 hours in a day. So, it takes incredibly long despite of urgency. So, is that bureaucracy?

Matching Mole

England, English
    Bureaucracy in this sense refers to annoying or apparently needless administrative complication (e.g. "a complicated and annoying system of rules and processes"), not under-staffing, so your reason does not really fit. It won't be possible to say if you are using the word appropriately unless we see it the context of a sentence, however.

< Previous | Next >