par ou barre oblique?

< Previous | Next >

Sush

Canada - English
Bonjour,

Est-ce quelqu'un pourrait me dire si le mot "par" se remplace par une barre oblique en français comme il le fait en anglais?

Par exemple: 4$ par personne - 4$/personne

Merci bien de votre réponse!

Français - Canada, English - Canada
    Bonsoir,

effectivement il est possible d'utiliser la barre oblique puisqu'elle est un symbole et un symbole amène la même idée dans toutes les langues (d'autres exemples: @,$,%,?, ...)

Cordialement Votre,

Vincent

P.S. Correction d'erreur

LMorland

American English
    I think your question is a good one, Sush, because not all symbols are used across all languages, in my experience. For example, the French don't use & (the ampersand), so far as I can tell after nearly 10 years of living in France. The @ sign wasn't used either, I don't believe, until the Internet came along, and so you have to go through a little rigmarole in order to produce one on a French computer keyboard.

But to answer your question, I simply typed "Euros/personne" into Google and produced a goodly number of results, so the answer is yes.

(I'm curious, though -- does one put the dollar sign after numbers in Canada? Because we don't in the U.S. When I write equivancies, I put e.g., $150 = 102 € , observing the proper position of the sign in each language.)

Last edited:

itka

français
    For example, the French don't use & (the ampersand) at all
    Do you think so ? It does exist on french keyboard (une esperluète) and it's currently used to name societies (have a look here) and in commercial mail.
    That's true we don't use it in novels.
    More on wiki.

SteveD

British English
    I think your question is a good one, Sush, because not all symbols are used across all languages, in my experience. For example, the French don't use & (the ampersand) at all, so far as I can tell after nearly 10 years of living in France. The @ sign wasn't used either, I don't believe, until the Internet came along, and so you have to go through a little rigmarole in order to produce one on a French computer keyboard.

But to answer your question, I simply typed "Euros/personne" into Google and produced a goodly number of results, so the answer is yes.

(I'm curious, though -- does one put the dollar sign after numbers in Canada? Because we don't in the U.S. When I write equivancies, I put e.g., $150 = 102 € , observing the proper position of the sign in each language.)

http://www.sysmod.com/euro-emu.htm#style

Sush

Canada - English
    Merci à tous!

LMorland, to answer your question about dollar sign placement in Canada, in English it's the same as in the States - $5.00, etc. In French, I've mostly seen it placed after.

Thanks again!

LMorland

American English
    Do you think so ? It does exist on french keyboard (une esperluète) and it's currently used to name societies (have a look here) and in commercial mail.
    That's true we don't use it in novels.
    More on wiki.
    Well, I wrote "in my experience" and it's been my experience that the French don't use the & as we do. My French friends don't use it in textos (where it would be useful) and when I have used the & in a handwritten note, I've been asked, "What's this?".

So I've ceased to use the & in French. By way of example, if I'm signing off a joint email or a handwritten note to friends in English, I would sign "Laura & John" (my husband), but in French I sign off "Laura et John".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >