parallel structure when using "either...or"

< Previous | Next >

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all, I made up the following sentence and my query has to do with the proper use of "either...or":

"This field will either be used for holding sporting events, or (be) closed depending on the weather."

Is it necessary to add "be" between "or" and "closed" ("or be closed") so that the two parts after "either" and "or" parallel with each other ("be used" and "be closed")?

Thank you very much!

• Chez

English English
    Yes, it is necessary for understanding in this sentence.

However, if the either/or options are closer together, it may not be needed: This field with either be open or closed, depending on the weather.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    Yes, it is necessary for understanding in this sentence.

However, if the either/or options are closer together, it may not be needed: This field with either be open or closed, depending on the weather.
    Thanks. For your example sentence, maybe we can reverse the order of "either" and "be"? So then it reads "This field will be either open or closed." :)

Chez

English English
    You can place the 'be' as you suggest, but it sounds more natural in the original position.

As the sentence would be understood without the comma, you could say it was optional. But it is usual and, I think, useful, to include it.

< Previous | Next >