Pardon my outburst

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
A:Can you imagine? Me? A Grey Warden! It would be everything I've dreaming of!" The knight cleared his throat, looking sheepish. His red hair fell into his eyes and he brushed it aside. "Of course, I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Pardon my outburst."

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7104245/2/Tricking_the_Past

Background: The fiction is based on a computer game that is set in a quasi-medieval fantasy world. Grey Wardens are a group of best warriors who are called upon to defend the world and wipe out monsters. Being a Grey Warden is an horror to most people. In this scene, rumors has reached A's ears that a Grey Warden is going to invite him to join them.

Since the story is set in a medieval world, does "pardon my outburst" have an old-fashioned ring to it if it is used in everyday conversation? Can you imagine a gentleman says "Pardon my outburst" after a passionate outburst of feeling these days?

• ewie

English English
    Can you imagine a gentleman says "Pardon my outburst" after a passionate outburst of feeling these days?
    Only a very gentlemanly gentleman, RG.

For me it primarily has an old-fashioned ring to it because people these days don't worry so much about having passionate outbursts of feeling ~ in fact a lot of people positively revel in them.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks ewie. Maybe a refined old lady would say something like that :confused: Would you go so far as to say that using such antiquated expression would risk being regarded as feminine or affected?

ewie

English English
    I wouldn't go quite that far, no. I'd classify it as a bit oldy-worldy, rather quaint, indicative of someone who was brought up (e.g.) more than 60 years ago in a household where good manners were very important. So yes, it's the kind of thing refined old ladies (or gentlemen) might say:)

There's nothing really inherently old-fashioned about it: it's just that it's the kind of thing people rarely say ~ the kind of nicety of feeling people rarely have ~ these days:(

< Previous | Next >