Parent (?) folder

harry1999

Marathi, Hindi
Hi,
What is the word that will match in the following scenario:
I have opened a folder "A", which is inside the folder "B". So, the path of the folder is "C:\Users\A\B"
If I want to say, "In the notepad, set the path up to the preceding folder " i.e "A" (user is giving path of folder "B").
I mean to say, "Folder earlier to B"
Would "preceding" work? or it should be "earlier"?
Can you help me construct the sentence?

Thanks,
Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
  • e2efour

UK English
    If you open folder A inside folder B, the path is C:\Users\B\A. You have mixed up A and B so it's difficult to answer your question.
    Also there is no such thing as the notepad, it is "In Notepad".

harry1999

Marathi, Hindi
    I mistakenly put folder A inside B. I should have been B inside A. I am talking about the Windows notepad.

Scenario: It is required to the user to set up the path to the folder "A"(which is previous to B) - how can I tell this case to the person I am talking to and (s)he doesn't know about the folders A and B. What would be the general sentence?

Does the word "parent" work here?

Sobakus

I mistakenly put folder A inside B. I should have been B inside A. I am talking about the Windows notepad.

Scenario: It is required to the user to set up the path to the folder "A"(which is previous to B) - how can I tell this case to the person I am talking to and (s)he doesn't know about the folders A and B. What would be the general sentence?

Yes, parent folder should work fine, you can also say one folder up.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I mistakenly put folder A inside B. I should have been B inside A. I am talking about the Windows notepad. Scenario: It is required to the user to The user should set up the path to the folder "A" (which is was previously to B) - how can I tell explain this case to the person who I am talking to and (s)he who doesn't know about the folders A and B. What would be the general sentence?
    "Put the file into folder A, which is the folder above B" or "Put the file into folder A, which is the parent folder of B" "Put the file into folder A. Do not put it in B, B is a subfolder of A."

It could do, but it is a term that is not widely known other than by people who take an interest in computers.

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    Parent or previous would work.
    But I would not use set up, but "In Notepad set the path to C:\user\A\B" or "navigate to the parent/previous folder".

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I just wanted to add that I have no difficulty with the notion of a parent folder. To establish this is some kind of context, I should say that I have zero computer skills.

< Previous | Next >