Parking metre [meter]

Hotmale

Polish
Hello :)

What do you call the piece of paper that you get at a parking metre?
Is it a parking metre ticket?

Thank you

• airportzombie

English - CaE/AmE
    I think they are called receipts. There's usually something on there that requires you to "display receipt prominently on dashboard", or something to that effect. I have a few in the car, so I'll have to confirm this later today when I head home.

Myridon

English - US
    In the US, I have never seen any parking meters that give out pieces of paper.
    (My first thought was you meant a parking ticket which is a citation for parking illegally. I hope that airportzombie does not have a few of these in his car. :))
    On second thought, perhaps you don't mean parking meter but one of those gates at the entrance of a parking lot / garage. Those do give out pieces of paper which I think are called parking tickets. (Well, that's confusing!)

Loob

English UK
    UK parking meters (NB not metres) don't give out pieces of paper either, as far as I know.

I'm sure there was a previous thread on the tickets you get from machines in car parks: I'll see if I can find it:D.
    EDIT: yes, here is is: parking ticket or what.

(Andy - I see you beat me to it!)

Hotmale

Polish
    I think they are called receipts. There's usually something on there that requires you to "display receipt prominently on dashboard", or something to that effect. I have a few in the car, so I'll have to confirm this later today when I head home.
    Thanks, Airportzombie for explaining :)

airportzombie

English - CaE/AmE
    I think it would be important to point out that these "parking meters" that issue tickets/receipts are quite different from the ones found at the entrances/exits of surface lots or parking garages. In Toronto, we have moved from individually metered street parking spaces in most places to a central machine that accepts credit cards in addition to coins (see parking meter picture attachment). The idea is that you could fit a lot more cars along the length of the curb if it didn't have individually marked parking stalls and you could also pay with a credit card if you don't have any loose change. (I was in Warsaw a couple of months ago, and I think it was there where I saw these machines—I even pointed them out to my traveling partner because they were so similar to ours.) I think this is what Hotmale may be referring to.

What is issued from these machines are actually both the ticket and receipt that are attached (see the parking ticket picture attachment—you can barely see the perforation down the middle of the piece of paper). The ticket is what you would "leave on dash - this side up" and the receipt is your proof of payment that you can detach (which no one ever does). However, as we find many times in this forum, even if it had an official name, it would probably be referred to by another name by the general public. If you polled the people of Toronto on what they call that slip of paper, I'm sure you'll get the same answers as suggested here and in the other thread. I'll stick to calling it a receipt.

Attachments

Waylink

English (British)
    Machines which issue date- and time-stamped tickets that you display inside your car to show that you have paid for parking are widely seen in the U.K. both for on-street and public off-street parking.

Not all places use this method but many do. The big drawback is that you have to estimate how long you need and pay for it in advance.

To avoid confusion with a parking penalty notice, we often call the parking tickets parking stickers. (They usually have a self-adhesive surface so that you can stick them to your windscreen / windshield.)

As Airport described, there is a often a tear-off receipt which you can take with you as separate proof of payment.

< Previous | Next >