parlour-boarder

flop

italian/Italy
what is (was?) actually a parlour-boarder? How would you translate it into Italian?

• flop

italian/Italy
    perhaps I'd better add a context:
    I've found this term in Thackeray's Vanity Fair, again: Miss Pinkerton's sister "had already whimpered several times", but "Such luxury of grief [...]is only allowed to parlour-boarders".

ElaineG

USA/English
    Hi flop, I'm going to move this over to EO (because although I've encountered parlour boarders in Dickens, Austen, Thackeray etc., I don't know what they are precisely).

Once we know what it is, we can come back here and try to translate it, OK?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Bear in mind that the "best" English schools were boarding-schools.
    A pupil at a boarding school is a boarder.
    A parlour-boarder was a boarder who lived with the school principal and enjoyed privileges not accorded to the ordinary boarders.
    (Paraphrased from the OED)

I will be amazed if there is any possibility of translating this into Italian - meaningfully:D

flop

italian/Italy
    I'm starting to think that it could be translated with "collegiale": since parlour-boarders slept within the premises, they lived in the boarding school, and "collegiale" is a "ragazzo o ragazza che vive in collegio" (from garzantilinguistica.it).
    But I'd rather wait for the verdict by EO ;)
    thanks a lot, meanwhile
    flop

TimN

English, England
    Hi Flop,
    note though, that Panjandrum is saying that parlour-boarders were in a privileged class above the normal privileged class of boarders (who also lived within the premises).

We are talking about: "The spoilt of the spoilt", or "La crème de la crème de la crème" (depending upon how you view your social history :).

TimN
    Go ahead, make your day!

timpeac

English (England)
    Ok, sounds about ready for transport back to Italian forum, ladies and gentelmen please put your seatbelts on...

flop

italian/Italy
    in one of the latest Italian editions of Vanity Fair, translated into Italian by Laura Melosi for "La Repubblica" as La fiera della vanità (Rome 2004), the sentence I quoted is such:
    "Una tale esuberanza nel dimostrare il dolore è concessa soltanto alle convittrici di riguardo".
    Since the extract I'm translating is included in a book for young teenagers, I think I'll opt for "collegiali di riguardo".
    Any comments?

< Previous | Next >