parmi / entre

Silvi

Spain-Spanish
The difference between=entre / among=parmi :confused: ????????

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agnès E.

France, French
    Examples:

In the name Silvi, l and v stand between two "i".
    In the name Silvi, two "i" can be found among five letters.

Excuse my poor examples, please... :eek:

timpeac

English (England)
    There is not always a one-to-one correspondence between between=entre / among(st)=parmi, but I'm afraid I can't remember a single example of a mismatch. I know that when I was studying French at school/uni a few times I translated it directly, and had it marked wrong with the other form suggested.

I know that's not very helpful without examples.:eek:

Silvi

Spain-Spanish
    The other day I wrote "parmi les hommes" et le professeur m'a corrigé: "entre les hommes".(hommes en général: hommes et femmes) :confused:

CeridwenT

Portuguese
    Though this thread is very old, in case someone else needs the answer, I've found a French grammar in Google books that says this:

original text:
    "Entre s'emploie quand il n'est question que de deux: entre ses mains, entre ses bras, entre lui et moi.
    "Parmi se dit d'une collection d'objets et demande toujours après lui soit un substantif pluriel, soit un nom collectif: parmi les hommes, parmi le monde... Parmi demande toujours un pluriel ou un nom collectif.
    "Il est des cas où l'on peut faire indifféremment usage de entre ou de parmi quand le complément est un pluriel.."

"Entre is used when there is question of two: between his hands, between his arms, between him and me.
    "Parmi is used with a collection of objects and always demands after it a plural noun or a collective noun: among men, in the world ...
    "Parmi always requires a plural or collective nouns.
    "There are cases where one can use either entre or parmi when the complement is a plural.."

Source: Grammaire Nationale par Louis Nicolas Bescherelle in Google Books

timpeac

English (England)
    I think the trouble is that there are also cases where there are more than 2 people/things involved and you cannot use either "entre" or "parmi", one or the other is correct in that context not both. It's still not a question that I fully know the answer of since the question was first asked 5 odd years ago!:)

Your dictionary extract says that if two things are mentioned you need "entre" (although it can be used if more than two things are involved too), and if "parmi" is used then there must be more than two, but does not address the question of which of them is needed when more than two things are involved.

tevez

serbian
    Par example:

Coincé entre les contraintes du cinéma européen et celles du cinéma américain, cet acteur n'a pas toujours décroché les meilleurs roles.

On utilise entre même s'il y a plusieurs contraintes.

Peut-être c'est parce qu'il y a deux cinemas?

Micia93

France French
    oui, je le comprends ainsi : il y a 2 sortes de cinéma

ceci étant, on peut dire "entre les hommes", même s'ils sont plus de deux =>" il existe une véritable fraternité entre les hommes " . Ici, contrairement à "parmi" qui est plus neutre, "entre" accentue l'idée que cette fraternité est mutuelle
    enfin, je le vois comme ça!

ahmedcrow

Arabic
    What's the deference between "parmi" and "entre"?

For example: can I use "entre" instead of "parmi" here "Son nom est très respecté parmi les savants."

La source: ici

Note: I don't ask about the context but about the two prepositions in general.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Hopefully you now have seen the discussion above, ahmedcrow, where we have placed your related question to avoid duplicate discussions.

(Please always remember to do a search for existing discussions on a topic before starting a new discussion--we like to avoid duplication in the Forum)

Thanks, wildan1, Moderator