Parola a te

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by PassingThru, Dec 5, 2008.

1. PassingThru New Member

English - US
    Parola a te is the title of an Italian textbook, and I can find the literal translation, but it feels like an idiom.

Does it have an idiomatic translation beyond "Speak to you"?

Thanks.

2. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Northern Colorado USA
    American English
    It is interesting that this textbook is sold on Amazon with the English subtitle "Italian Conversation."

3. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    It seems to me a not very stylish way to say 'a te la parola!' (maybe you speak! in English?)

4. daffodils315 Member

English- US
    Doesn't 'parola' mean 'word' or 'speech'? So literally it would be 'Word to you'? I'm not sure of the idiomatic meaning either. Maybe it is similar to 'Tocca a te' which doesn't make sense literally but means 'your turn.' I don't know, but I'm also curious to get a native speaker's perspective.

Oh oops, I posted that reply without reloading the page first to see if someone else had responded. So basically, 'Parola a te' is kind of meaningless?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  5. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    I didn't say it's meaningless, indeed I understand what it means (at least I suppose ;)), but I'd never use that construction in Italian. :)

6. Hermocrates Senior Member

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    It's missing an article, but "La parola a te" is a common expression in Italian, for example during a debate. It means "(it's) your turn to speak".

"Parola" is a noun (meaning "word"). It cannot be translated as "speak".

As I jut said above, it's an idiom, meaning "your turn".

I hope this helps! :)

Rye

7. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Even after adding "La" it still sounds like something a foreigner would say, unless the speaker wants to put a stress on the fact that now the other person can talk :)

"A te la parola" is what every native speaker say.

8. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Yep, I totally agree. :)

And I also agree with ryenart.. It is exactly the same of "your turn (to speak)".

9. Hermocrates Senior Member

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    I think you're right, "a te la parola" is definitely more common. But in Italian inversion is typically used for emphasis.

e.g. "La parola a te, adesso! Cosa rispondi?"

Rye

10. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    A te la parola! could be translated with Over to you!

11. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Well, if you want to put emphasis on it, then ok, your version works.

But if you put it like that, e.g. on the cover of a book, then I'd say "A te la parola"

12. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Yes, of course the article la could be missing by mistake, but that's no the case, since the title of the book (of Italian conversation :eek:) mentioned by PassingThru and AlabamaBoy is exactly " Parola a te "...! ;)