part song

Farewell

Italian
I'm translating the web site of a music group and I'm stuck with the word part-song. It's a form of choral music for which I can't find the Italian equivalent. I appreciate it originate in Ireland and in the UK so there may be no Italian equivalent for it, but I'm not sure.
Do you have any ideas? Thanks.

• elfa

English
    I don't know about the word originating in the UK or Ireland. Part-song just means "an unaccompanied partsong for 2 or 3 voices", the "parts" being different "linee contrappuntistiche". In Oxford Paravia I found "canto polifonico" given as a translation for "part-song". I would have thought this would more than fit the context you describe.

Farewell

Italian
    Thanks Elfa! I think canto polifonico sounds good althhoug I think part-song is a very precise type of canto polifonico (eg. the song is secular and not religious, ecc).
    The whole sentence is: The University Chamber Choir has toured many times in Europe and made a world premiere recording of Scottish Romantic part-songs.
    Thanks folks!

elfa

English
    Thanks Elfa! I think canto polifonico sounds good althhoug I think part-song is a very precise type of canto polifonico (eg. the song is secular and not religious, ecc).
    The whole sentence is: The University Chamber Choir has toured many times in Europe and made a world premiere recording of Scottish Romantic part-songs.
    Thanks folks!

Right, I understand now. I agree that "canto polifonico" doesn't imply that the song is secular, but for the moment, I can't come up with anything better. I personally prefer that to Benzene's suggestion, however.

Farewell

Italian
    Thanks to both of you! Probably there is no exact equivalent in Italian; I may use a periphrasis ...