partenered with

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Some environmentalists complain that this new attraction defaces the Grand canyon's natural beauty. The land is owned by the Huailapai tribe, who partenered with a Las Vegas businessman to build the attraction.

I wonder if I could say "cooperated/teamed with" instead of "partenered with." Thanks.

• anothersmith

English, U.S.
    "Partnered with" (not "partenered with") means, literally, that the tribe formed a business partnership with a Las Vegas businessman. In other words, both have a legal interest in the attraction; both profit from it.

"Cooperated" doesn't really convey this meaning of a formal business partnership. (For example, it could mean simply that the land belonged to them and they agreed to let the Las Vegas businessman build the attraction.)

"Teamed up with" is slang for "partnered with."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Partnered with" (not "partenered with") means, literally, that the tribe formed a business partnership with a Las Vegas businessman. In other words, both have a legal interest in the attraction; both profit from it.

"Cooperated" doesn't really convey this meaning of a formal business partnership. (For example, it could mean simply that the land belonged to them and they agreed to let the Las Vegas businessman build the attraction.)

"Teamed up with" is slang for "partnered with."

I would say that "partnered" most likely means that a business partnership was established; I would not say that this is a certainty, as any other number of modes of cooperation might also have taken place. "Partnered" does not absolutely imply a partnership in the legal/business sense, but merely cooperation. "Partner" is still a fitting choice, though.