Participation is important.

< Previous | Next >

temblor

WU CHINESE
We always tell people who participate in Olympic games: Your participation is more important than getting an Olympic champion. Is there any idiom to express such a meaning: participation is important? Any traditional or popular idiom in English?

• JamesM

There is a common saying: "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." I'm not sure it's an exact match because it has more to do with playing the game well and honestly, but I believe it's close. I often hear Olympians saying, "Just being in the games is an honor." That might also apply.

(Getting an olympic champion medal... You can be a champion or get a medal, but to get a champion would mean to acquire or buy a champion.)

temblor

WU CHINESE
    There is a common saying: "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." I'm not sure it's an exact match because it has more to do with playing the game well and honestly, but I believe it's close. I often hear Olympians saying, "Just being in the games is an honor." That might also apply.

(Getting an olympic champion medal... You can be a champion or get a medal, but to get a champion would mean to acquire or buy a champion.)
    "Just being in the games is an honor." This is what I want.
    Plus,thanks for your correction.

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    We always tell people who participate in Olympic games: Your participation is more important than getting an Olympic champion. Is there any idiom to express such a meaning: participation is important? Any traditional or popular idiom in English?
    'It's the taking part which counts'.

< Previous | Next >