Partita IVA (P.I.)

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Cristina79, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Cristina79 Member

    Hi everybody!
    I'm trying to translate the Italian "partita IVA" into American English. As I understand, this term is different for each country. So, I know that in England it is called VAT...
    can somebody help me with USA?
    thanks to everyone! :p
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  2. pimpiepooh Senior Member

    As far as I know, in English (both AE and BE) "partita IVA" is translated as "VAT number". Natives, correct me if I am wrong.
  3. Cristina79 Member

    Is it possible "TIN number"?
  4. Jamila

    Jamila Senior Member

    I agree with Pimpepooh, Vat No.
  5. Cristina79 Member

    thanx so much!!!
  6. Jana337

    Jana337 Senior Member

  7. coisa New Member

    English - US
    The most common US Taxpayer Identification Numbers are 1. the Social Security Number (SSN) for individuals who are citizens or resident aliens (Green Card holders), 2. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for non-residents, eg. foreign exchange students, 3. Employer Identification Number (EIN) for businesses. The formats are: XXX-XX-XXXX for the SSN, and XX-XXXXXXX.

    We do not say "VAT number.
  8. Cassidy's Mom Senior Member

    Houston, Texas
    United States, English
    I agree with Coisa. Americans are not going to understand what you are talking about if you say "VAT number." It's the Social Security number in most cases and the other options listed by Coisa.
  9. clare lorraine Senior Member

    English - Italy
    On the American English again.... I am a Brit stuck on a translation which is preferred in American English!
    EIN (Employer Identification Number) as suggested appears satisfactory as the Tax Number for a company.
    The tax number (codice fiscale) is used mainly in relation to taxable income (whether for companies or for individuals)
    The VAT (value added tax) number on the other hand is applied to PURCHASES (items have a price which are increased by a purchase tax, in Europe called VAT, which is a percentage of the net price and varies according to the class of goods). In the US I am not sure how much indirect taxation you have and/or whether it is federal, state or a bit of both.
    Any suggestions as to the best equivalent, or is it better to leave VAT which is the correct term in (Br) English, if there is no equivalent code/number in the USA?
  10. eiwalch Senior Member

    USA, English
    I'm sure this is too late, but Value Added Tax is quite different from payroll or income tax, which is what a TIN or EIN is used for. I think that a US company doing business with the EU would know what the VAT is.

Share This Page