party-in-pursuit

< Previous | Next >

nile84

Persian
They started seeing each other regularly... They talked and talked but they didn’t make it to bed even though that was where they seemed to be heading. Olof was holding on. And like any party-in-pursuit throughout history has responded to coquetry and ambiguous restraint, Ester assumed the answer was a ‘no’ only until it became a ‘yes’.

Acts of Infidelity- Lena Andersson

Would you help me with this phrase "party-in-pursuit"?

Thank you in advance.

• Loob

English UK
    I suppose the idea is that Ester is pursuing Olof.
    But the sentence as a whole seems odd. (I note this is a translation from Swedish.)

kentix

English - U.S.
    The word "party" in this usage means one person or group involved in a situation with one or more others.

So when a contract is signed, it's the result of a deal between two parties.

When someone sues someone else and they go to court, one party is the plaintiff and the other party is the defendant.

When groups of people come to eat at a restaurant, each group is considered a party.

Of the two people involved, the author is saying that Ester is the one pursuing Olof. She wants to be a couple with him. She is the party (the person) who is doing the pursuing.

nile84

Persian
    The word "party" in this usage means one person or group involved in a situation with one or more others.

So when a contract is signed, it's the result of a deal between two parties.

When someone sues someone else and they go to court, one party is the plaintiff and the other party is the defendant.

When groups of people come to eat at a restaurant, each group is considered a party.

Of the two people involved, the author is saying that Ester is the one pursuing Olof. She wants to be a couple with him. She is the party (the person) who is doing the pursuing.
    It was very helpful. Thanks a million.

nile84

Persian
    I suppose the idea is that Ester is pursuing Olof.
    But the sentence as a whole seems odd. (I note this is a translation from Swedish.)
    Thank you. You're right, the book is translated from Swedish to English.

< Previous | Next >