pas de bras, pas de chocolat

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by navakoa, Jun 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. navakoa New Member

french
    salut! tu connais une expression anglaise qui correspond à

"pas de bras, pas de chocolat" ?

merci!

Note des modérateurs : nous avons fusionné plusieurs discussions pour créer ce fil.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    :) Welcome to the forum, navakoa.

Jamais entendu ça en français. Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire ?

3. gliamo Senior Member

Ireland
    France, French
    Une femme et son fils entrent dans une boulangerie.

le fils: m'man, j'peux avoir du chocolat?
    la mère: non
    le fils: s'il-te-plaît!
    la mère: non mon chéri; pas de bras, pas de chocolat.

4. Already-Seen Senior Member

US
    French - France
    This is a joke, it works because the kid has no arms.

5. Mishra New Member

Bangkok
    French
    Bonjour,

Une amie anglaise a regarde un certain film ou cette expression est utilisee et me demande l'equivalent en anglais.
    Existe-t-il une expression anglaise appropriee?
    Est-ce que "no pain no gain" pourrait convenir par exemple?

Merci :)

6. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod (AL mod)

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Bonjour :)

[...]

Mais pour moi, "no pain no gain" ne convient pas, vu qu'il s'agit seulement d'une blague sans aucune morale...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  7. Mishra New Member

Bangkok
    French
    Oui bien sur je lui ai expliqué le sens de cette expression (ça ne l'a d'ailleurs pas vraiment fait sourire!) mais je pensais pouvoir lui donner une équivalence anglaise.
    Merci pour ta réponse :)

8. cfsenel New Member

Turkey
    Turkish
    "Pas de bras, pas de chocolat." I have heard it in the movie Intouchables, where the caretaker of a quadriplegic made this joke to his employer when he asked for a M&M's, noting the fact that he cannot move his arms. What I understood from the context is that the joke is renowned in French. However, I failed to understand what it means and why it is funny. The page in the French Wikipedia (the link of which I cannot give, due to my post count) was not of much help to explain the joke, and I did not manage to find any information in English. Maybe a native French speaker or someone who knows this joke can enlighten me. And another thing, in English subtitles, it was translated as "no feet, no sweets". I do not know why they deemed it necessary to replace word 'arms' with 'feet'.

9. Velveteen Senior Member

France
    USA, English
    "No feet, no sweets" because it rhymes like "pas de bras, pas de chocolat". From what I know, it's just a silly old joke about a kid with no arms who asks for chocolate and this is the answer he gets. It's just absurd and doesn't hide anything deeply meaningful. Like "soleil en août, pâté en croûte!" "pengouins dans le champ, hiver méchant!"
    You get my drift :)

10. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    In addition to being extremely cruel. :(

11. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    what strikes me is that this thread dates back to 2008 ! I had always thought that this silly joke had been invented with the film "Intouchables"
    so, is it so usual?

12. boterham Senior Member

Rijsel, France
    French, France
    Yes, it's an old joke I first heard when I was a kid. They just reused it in the film. I like "no feet, no sweets" as a translation but it doesn't work if the person can walk (although it works very well in the film)!

13. anotherlangue Senior Member

France
    English UK
    This makes me think of a children's joke (or was it a Christmas cracker) that worked well in London where people drop their H.

Something along the lines of...

What do you say when you see "somebody with no arms"? (I can't remember the precise question)
    He looks an 'armless (ie harmless) sort of bloke

14. Kecha Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Extremely? It's one of the mildest French jokes involving disabilities that I know of... Most jokes are not that funny if you think about them literally, you're just not supposed too. I mean, baby jokes are horrendous if you take them literally :eek:

15. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Any joke about disability is cruel.

16. Blougouz

Blougouz Senior Member

Breizh
    french-France
    No. Not at all. What is cruel? the disability is.
    :D

17. Santana2002 Senior Member

France
    English, from Ireland
    This "joke" has its own Wikipedia page! However, it remains totally unfunny to anglophone ears, whilst in the French-speaking world it's a classic, practically cult-esque. I, personally, have never understood its success.

18. Kecha Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    There are plenty of dark humour jokes in the English-speaking world too. If you think about it literally, "A catholic priest, a rapist, and a pedophile walk into a bar" is not about a particularly funny subject either. Again, dead baby jokes. Plenty of anglophones (and French too, as they mostly translate well) find them hilarious. Taken literally, there are disgusting and sick.
    There are no real-life stories of mother refusing chocolate to a disabled child. I find Pas de bras pas de chocolat pretty hard to take literally.
    I find jokes about pedophilia pretty hard not to take literally.
    Taken from another recent thread: chacun ses goûts, though.

19. jotd New Member

french
    The joke wasn't told properly. The real joke is:

- Papa je peux avoir du chocolat?
    - mais oui mon chéri, sers-toi il est dans le placard
    - mais Papa, tu sais bien que je n'ai pas de bras
    - aaah, pas de bras, pas de chocolat

So in english, the father tells the child to help himself in the cupboard, but the child repiles that he has no arms so he cannot. That "improves" the joke.

And those who think that it's offensive, well, too bad. What's offensive is to truly despise disabled people. This joke cannot of course be told to everyone, but as the french movie "Intouchables" shows, it's in the french culture and it can be funny when the 2 people like each other like in the movie.

20. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Mais peut-être dans ce cas "chacun ses dégoûts"? :)

21. jotd New Member

french
    nice pun. Anyway now everyone knows that joke in France, and it's more used as a reference than as a joke (I heard it more than 25 years ago).

and yes, bad idea to make a one man show around that one. Or you have to get the talent of Pierre Desproges.

22. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Bienvenu, jotd!