Pa's mad to stop for deer now

< Previous | Next >

Anfisa

Russian
What does red part mean?
Suddenly, Penny stopped. There was a doe in front of them. Penny lifted his gun and shot the doe. Jody thought, "Pa's mad to stop for deer now."
From a simplified of The Yearling.

• suzi br

English / England
    Could you clarify by "'crazy' version of mad"?
    Here it means doing things that are not sensible: “ill-advised”. *

* I think this is my “word of the day” today. Tipping my hat to Boozer for putting it in my mind!

Anfisa

Russian
    Here it means doing things that are not sensible: “ill-advised”. *

* I think this is my “word of the day” today. Tipping my hat to Boozer for putting it in my mind!
    Thank you!
    I got confused. Could you clarify it more?

Anfisa

Russian
    No, They weren't in a hurry. Here is part of book. I am sorry it's long.
    A rattlesnake bit Penny.Then Penny killed the rattlesnake. Penny started to push through the scrub. Jody ran behind him. Suddenly, Penny stopped. There was a doe in front of them. Penny lifted his gun and shot the doe. Jody thought, "Pa's mad to stop for deer now." Penny ran to the dead doe and took out his knife. He didn't cut its neck, but he cut its stomach. Jody thought, "Yes, now I know he's mad." Penny took the doe's liver out of its body. He cut his own arm with his knife. Then, he put the doe's liver on the cut.

Last edited:

Chasint

English - England
    "snack" or "snake"?

I think that Penny was bitten by a poisonous snake. Jody thought they should hurry back for medical attention. She was surprised when he stopped to shoot a deer. In fact he was using the doe's liver to extract the snake's poison from the cut.

< Previous | Next >