Pashto, Punjabi, Urdu: ډېره ਡੇਰਾ ڈيره

fun2learn

American English
This question is regarding the degree of mutual intelligibility (or lack thereof) of the Pashto word ډېره (pronounced ɖe̞·ra) with Punjabi.

I would use it interchangeably with the word ਬਹੁਤ بہُت which is an adjective meaning much, many, etc..

Example: A Punjabi speaker gives you some food and you reply ډېره شکریہ / ਡੇਰਾ ਸ਼ੁਕਰੀਆ instead of بہُت شکریہ / ਬਹੁਤ ਸ਼ੁਕਰੀਆ

In no way, am I saying Pashto and Punjabi are related (beyond both being part of the Indo-Iranian phylum). Pashto is an Eastern Iranian language and Punjabi is an Indo-Aryan language. I am just curious if I can get away with using ਡੇਰਾ / ڈيره as an adjective for much, many, etc. like ਬਹੁਤ / بہُت

Note: Punjabi Shahmukhi does not have some of the letters from the Pashto alphabet. Therefore Pashto ډېره is spelled ڈيره in Punjabi Shahmukhi and Urdu. This question is intended for Punjabi speakers, but anyone who has something to contribute can reply.

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    As a Punjabi speaker I would not use this word for "much/many". "T_her" (Urdu: Dher) means a "heap" and one could say "T_her saaraa shukriyah" but not "Derah". Deraa in both Urdu and Punjabi has the connotation of a "temporary dwelling".

fun2learn

American English
    Good answer, take a look at these 4 phrases and confirm if I can use them all for "Thank you very much". Also, mention any details of interest, like if "only used in Pakistan", "used, but usually by old people" etc..

1) ਚੋਖਾ ਸ਼ੁਕਰੀਆ चोखा शुकिया
    چوکھا شکریہ

2) ਬਹੁਤ ਬਹੁਤ ਸ਼ੁਕਰੀਆ बहुत बहुत शुकिया
    بہُت بہُت شکریہ

3) ਬਹੁਤ ਸਾਰਾ ਸ਼ੁਕਰੀਆ बहुत सारा शुकिया
    بہُت سارا شکریہ

4) ਢੇਰ ਸਾਰਾ ਸ਼ੁਕਰੀਆ ढेर सारा शुकिया
    ڈھیر سارا شکریہ