pass for a James Dean for girls

< Previous | Next >

buoo

Korean
Hello

Here is a sentence I wrote myself and try to make hang together.

His resemblance to James Dean get him to pass for a "James Dean" (for girls)

What I'm trying to say is

He is a James Dean look-alike and this is translated into a total babe("James Dean" or "Brad Pitt") for girls.

How can I add the underlined information(for girls) to the original ?

(or maybe my sentence makes no sense to you, native speakers :))

Thanks

• buoo

Korean
    OK, I've been writing a small paragraph and I used the verb "pass" continously and with my intention of repeating the verb again, I ended up with the above sentence. I used the James Dean(or Brad Pitt) as a symbol standing for "a handsome guy, popular with girls" Ok, let's get rid of it and instead,

His resemblance to James Dean get him to pass for a handsome teenager (for girls) (in fact, he's a 30 year old man)

Can I add the 'for girls' to the sentence? Which preposition should I use? or should I remove it?

Thank you, heypresto :)

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Do you mean something like Despite his age he passes for a handsome teenager ... ?

I'm not sure why you feel you need to add 'for girls', Buoo:confused:

buoo

Korean
    Yes, exactly ewie. Oh my God, hard to explain. I'm really getting bogged down by explaining this. Ok, the initial thought was there is a man whose appearance looks like James Dean, the dead superstar. and with this translated into a "James Dean" (an universal symbol for "sexy, hot looking man") he could have a way with girls.

So, for that to be along the same line with "a symbol for a group of people" I felt the need of 'for girls' to be put in. :)

Last edited:

heypresto

English - England
    Another suggestion is 'His resemblance to James Dean allows him to pass for a handsome teenager'.

I agree with ewie, there should be no need to mention girls.

He might also be attractive to gay men.

JustKate

Let's back this up a bit and find out what you're trying to focus on with this sentence. Are you trying to emphasize that (1) he looks like James Dean, (2) that he's attractive to girls, (3) that he's a grown man who's looks really young - young enough to attract girls, or (3) all three? The various concepts can be related to each other, of course - after all, James Dean looked just like James Dean and was a grown man who was also attractive to girls ;) - but they are separate concepts. So if you want to combine them into one sentence, you need to explain how they are related to each other.

I think this is part of what Ewie and Heypresto are getting at, and why the "girls" part seems superfluous. It might be important, but if so that isn't clear in your original sentence.

buoo

Korean
    Thanks for the explanation, Kate. I see what you mean and it helped me to understand the problem. :) And, as for JD's sexual orientation, before this, I didn't know anything about that at all, but I searched "James Dean gay" on google and now,, I see him. :) Thanks everyone.

Myridon

English - US
    Thanks for the explanation, Kate. I see what you mean and it helped me to understand the problem. :) And, as for JD's sexual orientation, before this, I didn't know anything about that at all, but I searched "James Dean gay" on google and now,, I see him. :) Thanks everyone.
    If you search "<any movie star> gay" on Google (Google will probably offer that as a suggestion before you finish typing the name), I'm sure you'll find something. The point we were trying to make is that "hot babe" means "sexually attractive person". "Sexually attractive person for girls" is just weird.

heypresto

English - England
    I'm not sure if Heypresto was making a comment on Dean's sexual preference. I expect he wasn't, but in any case, being gay isn't a requirement for being considered attractive to gay men.
    You're right - I wasn't. I guess I was just trying to show why 'for girls' sounded a bit odd. I was suggesting it was enough to say that in looking like JD he could pass as a handsome teenager. Full stop. Or period.

< Previous | Next >