Pass over!

Ludus

Italian
I have to translate this line in german: "Pass over!"

This is an order given to soldiers by a commander. The meaning is "ignore what you'll see". The soldiers are in a submarine.

Hope it's clear. I want to translate this line from italian to german (Passate oltre!), but I don't know if there are some of you that speak italian :)

Thanks in advance.

• Löwenfrau

Brazilian Portuguese
    It's just a try:

(from übergehen): Geht über!

I know that übergehen means not only go through an area, but also making silence and don't paying attention to what you see.
    But let's wait for a native's opinion!

ablativ

German(y)
    (from übergehen): Geht über!
    "übergehen" is not a separable verb (in this context). So it should be "übergeht es einfach!"

Or: "überseht es einfach!, beachtet es einfach nicht!, ignoriert es einfach!, nehmt es einfach nicht zur Kenntnis!"

Last edited:

Ludus

Italian
    Thanks a lot. I don't know german, I've forgotten to say, sorry... :)
    What does mean the sentence? "einfach" is "only"?

Ludus

Italian
    Mmh... I'm not sure that a "friendly expressed order" is right in my context. It was an order by a commander during the WWII to soldiers... so, I think it has to be a hard order.

Liam Lew's

Hi Ludus, I agree with ablativ. Usually the "einfach" in sentences like "ignoriert es einfach, macht es einfach, überseht es einfach oder nehmt es einfach zur Kenntnis" sounds like a friendly expressed order. But in some cases it can be the opposite. If somebody shouts aggressively "ignoriert es einfach", the word einfach means: Do not think about it!!!!! Just do it! The understanding of this word depends on the pitch.

So you see, the word "einfach" can attenuate an order, but can strengthen an order as well. I think in your context the word "einfach" means: don't think about what I'm telling you, just do it!! (aggressive order)

Last edited:

Ludus

Italian
    Hi Liam,
    thanks. I'm not sure about this meaning, maybe I've not explained good the situation. You say "don't think about what I'm telling you, just do it!" but the situation is different.

There are soldiers in a submarine, they see something "strange" and talk via radio with a commander. He orders them "Pass over!" (the commander knows what's this something strange, but it's a secret), that it means "Don't care what you see and go ahead".

Hope it's clear now, sorry but I don't know german and I don't speak english so good...

< Previous | Next >