pass over

gingerlo

Italy -italian
Hallo!!
I need help with this sentence: "if the "democratic wave" has passed over the Arab world, this doesn't have much to do with Islam".
How can I translate passed over? According to you is it "jump, skip", or "neglet"? (jump, skip for "wave")
Thank you!

• Ah, there are two senses of "pass over". One is to skip, jump (as in "When they were handing out life jackets, they passed poor Rudolph over. He didn't get one".

The second one is like, well, water passing over, washing over something, or, well, you can pass your hand over your arm, meaning you touch your arm in a sliding motion.

If it's the first sense, then you might say "has skipped over the Arab world...".

Hope that helps :).

gingerlo

Italy -italian
    Ah, there are two senses of "pass over". One is to skip, jump (as in "When they were handing out life jackets, they passed poor Rudolph over. He didn't get one".

The second one is like, well, water passing over, washing over something, or, well, you can pass your hand over your arm, meaning you touch your arm in a sliding motion.

If it's the first sense, then you might say "has skipped over the Arab world...".

Hope that helps :).
    So you think that the right sense of this sentence is skip, neglet, is it? Becouse if it is that, then what about the second sentence? I mean maybe the author wants to say that the wave, democratization "touched" came into contact with the Arab world but not with Islam???

< Previous | Next >