Pass the weed

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does it mean "hand/administer you the pot - the Medical Marijuana"?

Thanks in advance
Don't Pass the Weed or Say "Guns"

Feds frustrate researchers trying to study pistols and pot

(The above is its printing version title. The online title of the same report by the same author is:)

The Federal Government Makes It Ridiculously Hard to Study Gun Violence and Medical Marijuana
Feds frustrate researchers trying to study pistols and pot
By Steve Mirsky on May 1, 2017

-Scientific American

Source

• Juhasz

English - United States
    I agree with The Newt about what the phrase means - that is, what it's supposed to mean in this context, but I'll also point out, in case anyone cares, that "pass the weed" is a somewhat strange phrase in this context. The phrase "pass the weed" would not be used to mean "hand me that joint/pipe/bong/etc." it would mean "hand me that bag of marijuana" or "hand me that uncountable amount of marijuana."

It's strange in this context for the same reason that the following would look strange: "Don't Pass the Cookies or Say 'Guns'"

Why was "pass" chosen as the verb? It's not nonsense, but it is puzzling.

This headline looks to me like a failed attempt to use stoner lingo. The writer seems aware that when people are smoking marijuana they talk about "passing" something, but he's unaware of exactly what they're passing. Either that, or the writer thinks that "weed" is a synonym of joint, spliff, pipe or bong. It's not.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    I agree with The Newt about what the phrase means - that is, what it's supposed to mean in this context, but I'll also point out, in case anyone cares, that "pass the weed" is a somewhat strange phrase in this context. The phrase "pass the weed" would not be used to mean "hand me that joint/pipe/bong/etc." it would mean "hand me that bag of marijuana" or "hand me that uncountable amount of marijuana."

It's strange in this context for the same reason that the following would look strange: "Don't Pass the Cookies or Say 'Guns'"

Why was "pass" chosen as the verb? It's not nonsense, but it is puzzling.

This headline looks to me like a failed attempt to use stoner lingo. The writer seems aware that when people are smoking marijuana they talk about "passing" something, but he's unaware of exactly what they're passing. Either that, or the writer thinks that "weed" is a synonym of joint, spliff, pipe or bong. It's not.
    Yes, the verb "pass" looks mysterious to me.

The Newt

English - US
    It is very clear.
    Do members of FDA have such practice? I'm curious.
    Perhaps, but if so they don't invite me. :p I think it's just meant as a general cultural reference to the phrase "pass the weed," rather than as a literal prohibition of marijuana use by federal investigators.

Language Hound

American English
    :D Well, some may!

The original title of the article was "Don't Pass the Weed or Say "Guns."
    "Don't pass the weed" can be understood here, in this context, as "don't smoke marijuana."
    At the end of your article, it is written:
    In April 2016 Sessions famously said, “Good people don't smoke marijuana,”

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I really can't follow this thread, but New America seems extremely confused, when they ask, #7
    Tolerance, attitudes and the law vary very much from country to country.

Marijuana/'weed' smoking is not approved of or condoned in any western European country I know of, except perhaps the Netherlands. In the USA, as far as I know, it varies from state to state. Personal consumption might be tolerated but selling/dealing, and growing, is not.
    Speaking very generally, taking any 'illegal substance' is not permissable to employees of any sort and even less to those in any government service, but especially the FDA! Drug addicts of any sort shouldn't be employees of the 'Food and Drug Administration'.

The term 'pass the ... ' in a marijuana-associated context, is immediately identifiable to anybody familiar with the Jamaican music, reggae, song "Pass the koochie/doochie 'pon the left hand side", which refers to passing the marijuana pipe in a clockwise direction round a circle of people.

Last edited:

Language Hound

American English
    The Scientific American article is about how the (U.S.) federal government makes it hard for researchers to study gun violence and medical marijuana.
    Medical marijuana is legal is some parts of the United States. However, since the FDA does not recognize a legitimate medical use for it, it is still classified
    as a Schedule I drug and, as a result, researchers have a hard time getting any (legally) to study.

I, too, am puzzled by the OP's question regarding the FDA as the FDA is only mentioned once in the article:
    But marijuana is still what is known as a Schedule I substance—the Food and Drug Administration does not recognize a legitimate medical use for it, so scientists have to jump through flaming hoops to get any to study.

< Previous | Next >