passage of scripture

< Previous | Next >
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Currently, "Scripture" is uncountable, and often capitalised. It comprises all the words of the Bible. (It used to be possible to refer to a passage or verse as "a scripture" but this seems to have become rare.)

"The Scriptures" is sometimes used but, to me sounds old-fashioned.

I would prefer "from" instead of "of".

So you could say either:
    "this passage from Scripture," or "this passage from the Scriptures,"

Oeco

English - US
    In the phrase "this passage of scripture," does the word "scripture" refer to the entire Bible or a verse? Thank you in advance! :)
    "this passage" refers to a verse or set of verses, not the whole bible. And in the US at least, we would usually say "of" not "from" unless we were citing a particular book of the bible, i.e. "This passage from the book of Isaiah ..."

(I'm a pastor in the US)

Last edited:

ordinarydaniel

Chinese
    Thank you all. But my question is: Does the word "scripture" refer to the entire Bible or a verse in the phrase "this passage of scripture"?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Does the word "scripture" refer to the entire Bible or a verse in the phrase "this passage of scripture"?
    Currently, "Scripture" is uncountable, and often capitalised. It comprises all the words of the Bible. (It used to be possible to refer to a passage or verse as "a scripture" but this seems to have become rare.)
    In the phrase "this passage of scripture," does the word "scripture" refer to the entire Bible or a verse?
    In the way you have used it, it does not matter which it means.

< Previous | Next >