Passageway?

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
Hi there,

At my workplace, we have several room dividers (I think this is the name they have - essentially these consist of vertical plates, covered with fabric, which can be used to hold papers on them by using pins) which have been laid in such a way they create separate working zones.
These room dividers (around 5feet high) are often attached to one another to create a continuous half height wall.
At specific locations, entryways are set by leaving two adjacent panels apart from each other, at say, 3 to 3,5feet (adjustable of course) from one another.

What is the right way to address to these passageways, which are created by laying the room dividers apart from each other? Would it be possible to refer to these by doorways, passageways, entryways? Any other?

Hope I have conveyed my doubt here, and hopefully didn't make any huge mistake while writing the above text.
Really need to go to an English school! :)

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I think you could call them passages or passageways. (Same meaning, and 'passage' is probably the more common word.)

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    We also call the dividers 'partitions'. I think the word you want for the gaps may be 'openings'.
    Hi Edinburgher,

Thank you for the prompt response.
    Would you say its best to refer to them as partitions rather than room dividers, or would you say they are equally correct?

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    In American usage, gangway would be inappropriate for what you describe. The word is used almost exclusively for the temporary ramp via which a boat or ship is boarded.

I think passageway or entry would be fine for the openings between the partitions.

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    In American usage, gangway would be inappropriate for what you describe. The word is used almost exclusively for the temporary ramp via which a boat or ship is boarded.

I think passageway or entry would be fine for the openings between the partitions.
    Hi MuttQuad,

Was about to search for the meaning of the term, but now I won't have to, as you've explained its meaning already. ;)

< Previous | Next >