Passive form of: ' I begged the principal to forgive me. '

< Previous | Next >

Li singh

hindi
Hi
Which of the passive forms of ' I begged the principal to forgive me. ' is accepted:
1) The principal was begged to forgive me by me.
2) I begged the principal that I be forgiven.
3) I begged to be forgiven by the principal.
Thanks

• se16teddy

English - England
    It depends whether you want to replace the verb "beg" or the verb "forgive" by a passive, or both. If you explain why you are asking the question, it would help clarify this issue.

Li singh

hindi
    It depends whether you want to Hreplace the verb "beg" or the verb "forgive" by a passive, or both. If you explain why you are asking the question, it would help clarify this issue.
    Hi, se16teddy, do I need to give an description about the reason why I ask the question? Simply from the eagerness of learning your language more and more, I am asking it.Honestly, I found it in the exercise of a grammar book authored by a local teacher of English.Please tell me which of the alternatives is the best.In the book,2 is given.
    Thanks

se16teddy

English - England
    Hi, se16teddy, do I need to give an description about the reason why I ask the question?
    Yes you do, because it is one of the rules of the Forum. http://forum.wordreference.com/faq.php?faq=faq_forum_rules_header#rule4
    Please tell me which of the alternatives is the best. In the book,2 is given
    Obviously, then, 2 is the best because it is the one that the teacher wants! However, there is no grammar reason to prefer 2 over 3. 1 is grammatical but too inelegant to recommend.

< Previous | Next >