Passive of "Allow him to leave the place, please"

Li singh

hindi
Hi
Which of the passive forms of "Allow him to leave the place, please" is the best?
1) You are requested to be kind enough to allow him to leave the place.
2) He should be allowed to leave the place.
3) Let him be allowed to leave the place, please.
4) You are requested to leave the place.
Thanks

• boozer

Bulgarian
    If I had to choose, I would choose 2) and add 'please' at the end.

Or maybe I would say 'he is to be allowed' instead of 'should be'.

lingobingo

English - England
    If I had to choose, I would choose 2) and add 'please' at the end.
    :thumbsup:

But it’s a weird sentence, so difficult to comment on. Allow whom to leave what place? Is this a formal request, a written notice, or what?

And 4) has a different meaning from the others anyway.

Uncle Jack

British English
    If you remember that the object of the verb in the active voice becomes the subject of the verb in the passive voice, it becomes obvious that the only possible answer is (2).

The subject of an imperative is "you" (unless a subject is explicitly stated, which is rare). In (1), (3) and (4), the subject is still "you". Usually, when a sentence in the active voice is changed to the passive voice, you expect the original subject to vanish altogether.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    If you remember that the object of the verb in the active voice becomes the subject of the verb in the passive voice, it becomes obvious that the only possible answer is (2).

The subject of an imperative is "you" (unless a subject is explicitly stated, which is rare). In (1), (3) and (4), the subject is still "you". Usually, when a sentence in the active voice is changed to the passive voice, you expect the original subject to vanish altogether.
    That's right, it's (2). If you really want to go really overboard and produce a true passive version that no native speaker would ever use (not that it isn't stilted enough as it is) just add "by you" to the mix:
    2a) He should be allowed by you to leave the place. :eek:

< Previous | Next >