Passive Voice

< Previous | Next >

denu1986

Spanish
Hi Everyone.
I have to use present perfecto passive verb forms to expand this headline into a complete sentence.
"Plans to cut awards for crime victims delayed".
Y dont understand de meaning of this phrase, so i dont know how to use de passive voice,.
Could you help me?
Thanks

Denise

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Denise.

In the active form, the headline tells us that [someone] is delaying the plans to cut (meaning "reduce" or, perhaps, "eliminate") the awards for crime victims.

I wonder whether it would be better for you to ask this question in the Spanish forum. They may be better able to explain the meaning, if that is difficult for you.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Hi Everyone.
    I have to use present perfecto passive verb forms to expand this headline into a complete sentence.
    Y dont understand de meaning of this phrase, so i dont know how to use de passive voice,.
    Could you help me?
    Thanks

Denise
    Hi Denise. Welcome to the Forums! :)

Let's see if we can help you.

Passive voice:

Plans that would cut awards for crime victims have been delayed.

When you use have been, you'll get the passive voice.

One thing, though. Are you sure that you want to use the words awards here?

I'm not sure that's the best choice.

AngelEyes

Hi Everyone.
    I don't understand the meaning of this phrase, so I don't know how to use the passive voice.
    Crime victims are people who have been victims of crimes committed by criminals.

"Awards" here refers to the monetary compensation that some places will give to crime victims to help them recover from the loss they suffered in the crime.

To "cut" those awards means to eliminate them; for example, a government might not be able to afford to do this any more.

It would seem that plans have been made to eliminate the awards given to crime victims. However, for some reason there has been a delay in putting those plans into effect.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    So if I say "Plans to cut awards for crime victims have been delayed." It would be okay?
    Yes, you could say it as you have written it here.

But I would add a word GreenWhiteBlue used in his post:

"Plans to cut awards of compensation for crime victims have been delayed."

Still...yours is just fine!

Hope we helped you.

AngelEyes

So if I say "Plans to cut awards for crime victims have been delayed" It would be okay?
    It would be grammatical, but it would still be passive voice.

The "plans" are not causing or creating the delay; "plans" cannot act on their own!

To make this active voice, you must determine who is performing the action of delaying the plans.

sound shift

English - England
    The original sentence is a press headline. Lack of space means that words are often omitted from headlines. In this case, I think we can infer that the implementation of the plans has been delayed.

RagnarsLodbrokar

Canada / Montreal / En-Fr
    I think "Plans to cut awards for crime victims have been delayed" is correct. Not great in terms of clarity, but correct.

rocstar

México - Español-
    Hi Everyone.
    Could you help me?
    Thanks

Denise
    You can also say:
    Plans to cut awards for crime victims were delayed.

Rocstar

rocstar

México - Español-
    However, these stentences are all STILL passive voice.

The plans are receiving, and not performing, the action of delaying their implementation.
    This is what the original poster wanted. The sentence he or she described was incomplete, we just needed to add something to complete it.

Rocstar

< Previous | Next >