passively educate student midwife...

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

My hard copy document say:

... the midwife can assist the woman/patient, and passively educate the student midwife at the same time, by...

I don't understand the adverb passively here. Please help explain.

Thanks

• Tazzler

American English
    My understanding: she won't purposely try to teach the student, but the student will learn from the professional.

Actually could you give the rest of the sentence?

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks Tazzler for your help. Now I copy more sentences.. it looks like the midwife role play for her student to observe, I guess?

... the midwife can assist the woman/patient, and passively educate the student midwife at the same time, by asking the woman/patient if she would like to sit up and then helping her into a more comfortable position if she so desires. This models good practise to the student midwife.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Hi Copyright, source is my hard copy document. I'm afraid I copy whole sentence, you delete my post again because it's long. :eek:

Copyright

American English
    Hi Copyright, source is my hard copy document. I'm afraid I copy whole sentence, you delete my post again because it's long. :eek:
    I understand that, but I imagine it has a name or you can give it a name to give us an idea of the subject. Thank you.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    No, it does not sound like role playing. Modeling behavior means demonstrating behavior, behaving in a way that it would be good for the observer to imitate.

It sounds like this is a real midwife-patient encounter and the student is observing. The student is learning by observing what the midwife does. The midwife is modeling good midwifery practice so the student will know what to do when she has her own real patients.

(I've written in American spelling because that is what I am used to, but the content would be the same in British English.)

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you Nunty.

So
    ... the midwife can assist the woman/patient, and passively educate the student midwife at the same time
    =
    ... the midwife can assist the woman/patient, and model the midwifery practice so the student will know what to do at the same time

The adverb Passively is difficult to understand here. Its synonym become = verb to model ! :eek:

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    No, not exactly synonyms. Just looking at the same thing in different ways.

When you open a thread in the forum and you give the full sentence and context, properly use capital letters and punctuation marks, give all the information clearly and so on, you are not only asking the question, you are also modeling the right way to open a thread. New members who read the thread are being passively educated by seeing your example.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Ahh.. thanks for another more example. Now I feel like passively here is a bit similar to secretly ... :confused:

When you open a thread in the forum and you give the full sentence and context, properly use capital letters and punctuation marks, give all the information clearly and so on, you are not only asking the question, you are also modeling the right way to open a thread. New members who read the thread are being passively educated by seeing your example.

=

When you open a thread in the forum and you give the full sentence and context, properly use capital letters and punctuation marks, give all the information clearly and so on, you are not only asking the question, you are also modeling the right way to open a thread. New members who read the thread are being secretly educated by seeing your example.

Ok I have understood more now. Iv Just feel more curious because I only know about PASSIVE VOICE in my grammar course.

Copyright

American English
    Ahh.. thanks for another more example. Now I feel like passively here is a bit similar to secretly ... :confused:
    Passively is the opposite of actively. Actively teaching is standing at a lectern in front of a blackboard and lecturing. Passively is doing something and letting the student see how it's done -- it's teaching by example.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Ok teaching by example is passively teaching
    & actively teaching is teaching by standing at a lectern

:thumbsup: Thank you two. Now I understand full and stop ask more this post .

< Previous | Next >