past perfect in football

slovac

I made the following sentences up by self. Could you please tell me whether natives would use the past perfect in this situations? - it seems to be an exact time definition, but there is not an exact time mentioned.

During the overtime the football team xy was missing the player who had been shown a red card in the first half.

During the overtime the football team xy was missing the player who had been shown a red card a while before the halftime break.

Thank you.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    The use of the past perfect is, well, perfect. You don't need to give an exact time for the past perfect; all you need is to express that a prior event in the past was having an impact later in the past. Here, because the player had been given a red card earlier in the game, he didn't play in overtime.

slovac

Thank you. Could you please advise me?
    During the overtime the football team xy was missing the player who had been shown a red card in 71' minute.
    Is the sentence incorrect?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Thank you. Could you please advise me?
    During the overtime the football team xy was missing the player who had been shown a red card in 71' minute.
    Is the sentence incorrect?
    The sentence has many incorrect elements, but the use of the past perfect is correct.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, slo.
    It depends on what you mean by time definition.
    If you mean an expression of time, I think you can have quite a few:

I've talked to him twice today.
    They've not yet invited us this winter.
    Have you folks seen Jane at school this week?
    etc.

GS

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    'Yesterday' is a period of time in the past which is finished, so 'I have....' can't be used in this case.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    The sentence has more than one problem, but sticking to the verb tense, yes it is incorrect.
    You cannot use 'have seen' with a finished period of time in the past.
    'The day before' (I guess that you mean 'yesterday') is finished past.

< Previous | Next >