past perfect + time expressons in ...

< Previous | Next >

brown poodle

korean
In the following sentence, can I use past perfect with the time expression in 2000?

He said that the lost item had been found in 2000
He said that the someone had found his lost bag last night. .

• rhitagawr

British English
    The first is fine.
    I agree.
    The second is a bit odd on its own, but not definitely breaking a rule.
    I think it sounds odd because last night is one of those expressions of time which change in reported speech when the tense changes. Someone found my bag last night -> He said someone had found his bag the night before. (I agree that the night before doesn't mean last night.) I'd expect to hear He said someone found his bag last night.

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    I was taught that past perfect cannot go with any specific time, such as 1999. My teacher says the first one is incorrect. I am very confused. what is the rule?
    Are you sure that's what your teacher said? Are you sure that your teacher wasn't talking about the present perfect? It's the present perfect - has been found - which cannot go with a specific time.

rhitagawr

British English
    I was taught that past perfect cannot go with any specific time, such as 1999. My teacher says the first one is incorrect. I am very confused. what is the rule?
    I've never heard of this rule. Practical English Usage doesn't say anything about it, although other grammar books might. I can't see anything wrong with:
    I asked him when the bag had been found and he said it had been found in 2000.
    I went to Manchester last week. I'd already been there in September.
    He said he'd worked as a chef before 2019.
    I met Nancy last week. I hadn't seen her since 2016

< Previous | Next >