Past perfect

Magg

Spain / Spanish
Hola!

Me interesa sobre todo sober si el 'past perfect' está bien empleado.

Cuando llegué a casa la tele estaba encendida. Cuando me marché John y Tom estaban viéndola. Llevaban 3 horas seguidas mirando el mismo programa.

When I arrived home the TV was on. When I went away J. and T. were watching it. The had watched it for 3 hours in a row.

Thank you so much,
Magg

• temujin

Norway / norwegian
    Hi Magg,

I would say:

When I came home the TV was on. (arrived is not wrong, but I think "came" sounds better)
    They had been watching it for 3 hours. I don´t know why, but "they had watched it for 3 hours" doesn´t sound good.

I think you cannot use "in a row" here.(and it´s not necessary) Optionally, you can say "They had been watching it continuously for 3 hours".

t.

EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    I agree with Temujin; I would say: "They had been watching it for 3 hours".
    The reason for this: it was a continuous action, so we must use a continuous tense.
    My version:
    "When I came home the TV was on. When I left, J. and T. were already watching it. They had been watching it non-stop for 3 hours."
    Cheers!
    EVA.

Isolde

Peru Spanish
    Magg said:
    Hola!

Me interesa sobre todo sober si el 'past perfect' está bien empleado.

Cuando llegué a casa la tele estaba encendida. Cuando me marché John y Tom estaban viéndola. Llevaban 3 horas seguidas mirando el mismo programa.

When I arrived home the TV was on. When I went away J. and T. were watching it. The had watched it for 3 hours in a row.

Thank you so much,
    Magg
    When I came home,the TV was on. When I left, J and T were watching it. They had been watching the same program continuously (or "non-stop") for 3 hours.

Cheers!

< Previous | Next >