past simple + present perfect

< Previous | Next >

AskLang

Filipino
Is it alright to combine a past simple and a present perfect in a sentence?

I was surprised to see that all the inventory items in the system have been "post to web" enabled.

A programmer worked on something in our system to get the field for "post to web" of every inventory item set to either "true" or "false". However, all of the items have been set to only "true".

Hope you could help.

Thanks so much indeed.
AskLang

• bluegiraffe

English - England
    Yes, this sentence is correct. You were surprised to discover somebody had already put the codes in. This means someone put the codes in, then, afterwards (but still in the past), you discovered it and were surprised.

sound shift

English - England
    The sentence sounds a little odd to me. I think "have been 'post-to-web' enabled" should be replaced by "had been 'post-to-web' enabled", since the enabling came before my discovery.

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
    But they are still 'post-to-web' enabled, so you can use have been. Both are correct.
    Okay, they are still enabled ,however, the person was telling a past incident and therefore it would be had been. For telling the continuation of the activity at present, the sentence could be said in this way:
    I was surprised to see that all the inventory items in the system had been "post to web" enabled and they are still enabled there.

< Previous | Next >