patas de rana. Natación

< Previous | Next >

silvina alazraki

Spanish Rioplatense
Hola! Como se dice patas de rana? El accesorio para natación que nos ponemos en los pies para nadar más rápido. Gracias!

• gengo

American English
    As someone who swims regularly and has a SCUBA license, I can tell you that in AmEn, the term varies with the exact use of the product.

Swim fins are usually shorter, and are used to swim laps.
    Snorkeling fins are of medium length.
    Dive fins are usually longer, and sometimes have an ankle strap to be worn over dive boots.
    Flippers is the word usually used by kids. Serious swimmers don't use this word.

Therefore, in the context of el accesorio para natación que nos ponemos en los pies para nadar más rápido, the best word is swim fins.

Mr.Dent

English - all over the USA
    Serious swimmers might not use the word flippers, but that does not mean that only children use it. But, if I am wrong then I guess I am a kid at heart, because that's what I call them.
    Here is an excerpt from an article entitled Best Swim Flippers for Adults
    Want to swim like a fish? Well, flippers, also known as fins, can make for a much more enjoyable experience in the water, as long as you have the right pair. They are commonly used for scuba diving and snorkeling in the ocean, but they can also be a great accessory for gaining speed to get across large pools in a flash. With that in mind, and in the interest of helping you find the best flippers that money can buy, FN did some research and rounded up a few of the top models on the market for men and women. Best Swim Flippers for Adults

sarah_

Spanish - Madrid (Spain)
    Aunque se pide la traducción al inglés, añadir que en español de España eso se llama "aletas" (de natación, de buceo...)
    Lo de las 'patas de rana' me ha hecho mucha gracia. Es un buen nombre, sin duda :)

sarah_

Spanish - Madrid (Spain)
    That's interesting, because I would have assumed aletas de natación to be what we call water wings.

View attachment 39115
    Eso, por aquí, son "manguitos", jajaja ¡Vaya jaleo!
    Porque sí que parece que en otros países lo llaman "aletas". Al menos, la wiki da esa opción:
    Alas acuáticas - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
    Las alas acuáticas también llamado aletas, flotadores, manguitos de natación, bandas o nadadores son un aparato para asistir en el aprendizaje de la natación y flotación.
    A veces, también por aquí, a los manguitos se les llama flotadores, aunque 'flotador' solemos relacionarlo más con un 'rubber ring'.
    Pero si buscas 'aletas' en Google imágenes solo salen 'patas de rana'
    aletas - Google Search

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    Serious swimmers might not use the word flippers, but that does not mean that only children use it. But, if I am wrong then I guess I am a kid at heart, because that's what I call them.
    I didn't mean to say that adults never use the word. When I said "Flippers is the word usually used by kids. Serious swimmers don't use this word," I was trying to say that when I lifeguard at the pool and hear kids refer to these things, flippers is often the word they use. And it is true that none of the swimmers I associate with seems to use that word, but of course we all know it and wouldn't really think twice if someone called a pair of fins flippers.

Sarah, it makes sense that you would call these aletas, since that is what the corresponding part of a fish is called.

< Previous | Next >