"Patchaouras": μία ελληνηκή λέξη;

caféolé

spanish
This is used in my comic book to insult two "loose" women by a man (Ottoman Romania). Could it be Greek? What is the exact spelling and meaning? Can you help me on this? Thanks!

• Acestor

Greek
    The Greek word is πατσούρα (pronounced /patsúra/) or πατσούρω (/patsúro/), plural πατσούρες /patsúres/, of uncertain etymology. It means either an ugly hag (an old slovenly woman, with aged and tired skin) or a woman of loose morals.

caféolé

spanish
    Also: pacea(v)úră (ea dift.) f., pl. ĭ (turc. pačavra, otreapă; ngr. patsa[v]úra, alb. pačavure, bg. pačavra, sîrb. pačavra, pačaura). Fam. Otreapă. Fig. Triv. Cĭomîrdă, femeĭe foarte murdară. V. buleandră, fleandură, tearfă.

shawnee

English - Australian
    «πατσαβούρα» in the Ionian. Used more often for old rag - any derogative ref to woman more secondary usage. This would place origin in, Albanian - pačavure according to the op. However, Triandafyllidis gives Ven. spazzadura - rubbish, as origin.

shawnee

English - Australian
    Yes, I meant the Ionian Islands. Interesting that it is common in Athens as well. It's always hard to know the geographic reach of a local expression.

< Previous | Next >